cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX501 Login

NWUpgrades
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help me out here? I have a new client that is using a Cisco PIX 501. When I Telnet to the internal IP address, I get the log in screen, but the only thing that comes up is password and it will not let me type anything in. I am at a crossroads here as I need to open Outbound traffic for a Backup program. Any help is appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Andy

Depending on how the PIX is configured the prompt for only password when you telnet is normal. And the normal behavior is at the password prompt to accept the keystrokes that you enter but not to echo them back - which may look like it is not letting you type. Are you sure that it is not letting you type anything? If you type the character string that is the configured password and hit enter what happens?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

It just keeps going back to the password prompt until I have done it 3 times and then the connection ends. Not even sure if the password is correct or not. I took over for the person that originally set this up and he refuses to give my client any info. Is there a default password that I can try?

Hi Andy, is it possible you are not giving the right password? can you try terminal emulator and connect to pix via console port and try that way, you'll know then if you are indeed using correct password, otherwise you will need to do password recovery.

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

How do I do the Terminal emulator? and then how would I do a password recovery? I am a bit new to Cisco products. Thanks for the help.

You need a serial console cable in order to connect to PIX console port and a PC or laptop serial, then load hyperterminal from Windows, usualy COM1 and settings as:

Bps= 9600

Data bist = 8

Parity = None

Stop bits = 1

Flow control = hardware

This will allow you to connect to PIX via local console and login to pix that way, hopefully your password will work.

After you establish console connection try the passwords, in the event you cannot login then reference password recovery link bellow, but try your best to find out the enable password .

Password recovery procedure for PIX

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml

If I dont reply further I will be off on a week vac but others will assist.

HTH

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks for the help. I will be on site on Saturday so hopefully this will work. Just one other thing, how do I determine which version of the software that is on the unit?

when you initially stablish the local console via serial connection from laptop to pix you should see a prompt as:

pix>

issue a that prompt "show version" , I belive you should be able to get this info in non enable mode, however, I believe during reboot process it may also display version code as well.

HTH

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: