cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE on 3560 and Nortel i2004 Phones

ayussuf
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 3560 with PoE connected to my 4510 at one site. I have a few i2004 phones connected to the 3560. I have the Nortel's power adapter for the phones and have completed the command "power inline auto" on the a few interface but yet the phones will not power up. Help

7 Replies 7

ayussuf
Level 1
Level 1

no one knows whats the problem?

Hello

did you ever get this resolved ? Can you tell me what you did to get this resolved. I have the same issue at one of our sites.

Thanks and regards

Nilesh

Some of the older i2004 are not completely 802.3af compliant. Seems like I read you need a Phase 2 phone to do true POE.

Thanks for the response. It is phase 2 i2004 which i am using.

Hi all,

I have some Nortel IP Phones 2004 in use, connected to a 3560-24PS-S.

There is no problem with the PoE.

I hat to Update the Firmware before i could use the dot1Q trunk Data/Voice-Vlan.

Use a Voice-Port (a Port only in the Voice Vlan) to update the Firmware.

What I have is that at 2 phones there is a DELL Optiplex GX745 connected. These PCs have problems to Cold-Start, They stuck in Bios. Not Resolved this issue yet. Not sure it has to do with the Switch or Phones. Very hard reproduce.

Willem

any suggestions ?

Our network is all setup in the most basic of configurations. There are no custom VLANs, everything is just the default VLAN 1. Our phones are configured to get an address from DHCP. The VLAN setting on the phone is set to '0', which means 'don't use a VLAN'. The phones get an IP address in the range 172.18.0.0/16 and the phone system is at IP 172.18.0.83.

Our topology consists of one 'main' switch with the others uplinked into it via their GigE port.

So, the path from the new router to the phone system is:

Cisco 3560 PoE -> Main Switch -> Cisco 2950 -> Phone system.

The phone (Nortel i2004) can get an address from DHCP no problem (though it seems somewhat slower than normal), so it is connecting to the network. Also, I can ping the phone from the phone system console, so I know the system can see it (though I can't verify if the phone can see the system since I have no way to send a ping in that direction). The phones use port 4100 by default.

When the phone is connected to the Cisco 3560, the switch identifies it as PoE and provides 7.0W of power. I know this is the correct wattage, I'm pretty sure the phones are PoE Class 2, which would mean that 7.0W should be sufficient.

I have checked all the cabling and there are no faults or mis-wires.

I tried manually configuring the phone to use VLAN 1, but it didn't make any difference.

Any help would be appreciated as I've pretty much exhausted my own ideas.

In a nut shell, the Cisco 3560 has two types of built-in VLANs. There is the 'access' VLAN (for data) and the 'voice' VLAN (for voip). The problem was that I had assumed that because the i2004 phone was configured not to use a VLAN at all, that all of it's transmissions would just pass over the data VLAN. However, because the Cisco is a 'true' VoIP switch, it detects voice traffic and routes it over it's internal voice VLAN regardless of other configurations.

Unforutnately, while the data VLAN comes pre-configured on channel 1, the voice VLAN does not come pre-configured. So, while the phone could get an address from DHCP over the data VLAN, all the voip data was being dropped by the switch. This is what had me so confused, seeing DHCP working, but not the other stuff. After I configured the voice VLAN to channel 1 everything works perfectly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card