cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro E Internet Access Bandwidth problem

ewong0088
Level 1
Level 1

Hope some one can point me to the right direction. Just procure a Metro-E Direct Internet Access (10MB), the provider actually is running ethernet over SONET. Anyway, they hand over a cat 5 into a router (Cisco2620), fastethernet port to my switch. Now, everything works fine if I plug in, for example, my laptop directly into the switch, I get over 9MB down and 7 ~ 8 MB upstream. If I plug into my ASA5520, and traffic thru thru this firewall, I am getting at max 3MB down and 1.5MB up. I am scratching my head. I need to dig out the ASA DOcumentation to see but I am quite sure the throughpout my ASA can handle should be a whole lot more than what I am seeing. Any idea?

Thanks for any help or pointers in advance.

2 Replies 2

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

The Dedicated Internet Access (DIA) service provides high-speed access from the enterprise LAN to the ISP point of presence (POP). By offering Ethernet-based DIA, service providers can successfully compete by price in a saturated market. After attracting customers with the initial offering, the service provider can add value-added services, which increase revenue and can reduce churn.

The service provider can choose from several business models for the DIA service. Some service providers maintain ownership of the CPE and provide it as part of a bundled solution with a monthly recurring charge. Others sell the CPE to the customer. Regardless, the service provider's primary value is to deliver, configure, provision, and test the device in conjunction with the DIA service

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you confirmed there's nothing like a duplex mismatch to/from the ASA?