Anyone Appeal for Marginal Fail in CCNA?

Unanswered Question
Aug 30th, 2007

Hi,

I took my CCNA 640-801 this week & marginally failed with a score of 847. I got stuck at question 51 & did not have enough time to attempt the last 2 qns. I was told by my instructor that I can try to appeal to Cisco to grant me a pass.

Does anyone experience the same situation & successfully appeal? If yes, how do I go about doing it?

Thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
chris.royston Thu, 08/30/2007 - 22:08

Didn't know you could do this? Let us know how it pans out. I passed CCNA lastmonth, got 889.

Very happy with the result, first attempt.

This prep center is very useful.

Chris.

scottmac Fri, 08/31/2007 - 05:51

Unfortunately, I don't think you have a case.

Too many people finish the test (many with 5-10 minutes to spare), and too many people pass to make the case that the test is too difficult, too obscure, too long, bad questions, etc.

Certainly there are some "bad" questions; questions with convoluted phrasing or ambiguous answers, but if most of them fell into that category,the pass rate would be significantly lower.

There has to be a pass/fail line somewhere, and if they lowered it for you, then the person that failed with 845 makes a case and drops it again, then the person with 843, then 840 ... eventually the test means nothing.

Now that you've see the test, and you have some indication on your weaker areas, study up, practice, and hit it again.

If you ran out of time, chances are you spent too much time on the SIMs, or you spent too much time staring at a wuestion you didn't really know the answer to (so you study each of the answers, think for a while, and ultimately guess ... wasted time, the answers aren't going to give themselves away).

When you understand the material, you won't spend more than 30-60 seconds on a normal question and maybe as long as a few minutes on the SIM; there's more than enough time for the test.

If you hit a question you don't know the answer to, choose (guess) and move on; if you don't know it now, you won't know it in five-minutes-from-now by staring at all the answers.

Learn subnetting. Stop using subnet calculators forever. IP addressing and subnetting is an absolute foundational skill.

Good Luck

Scott

cyphur353 Fri, 08/31/2007 - 08:06

I hope I don't offend anyone with my comment, but if you know the material sufficiently, there is no reason to run out of time with the CCNA, or the CCNP track either(I haven't taken exams from the other tracks, as such I cannot comment on them).

Taking Cisco tests can be an art, but it's not a terribly difficult one. Read the question thoroughly, figure out what they're looking for. If the answer isn't instantly apparent, eliminate the obviously false answer options. Narrow it down to 2, or 3 possibilities - then guess! Even if you guess for 10% of the questions, statistically you'll get some of them right. Hopefully you don't have to guess for more than 10%, though.

The key, is to know the material. Also, high quality(non-braindump) test engines are very helpful as well.

chris.royston Sat, 09/01/2007 - 17:12

I totally agree with you guys, as mentioned above I recently passed CCNA. I pretty much used all the time available to finish the exam.

But to get this result, I studied the material for 6 months, then intensive study for 6 weeks prior to the exam. Spending alot of time on my weaknesses, trying to improve them.

Subnetting is such an important factor, and you need to be able to do it in your head. Forget the calculators..

Also, get as much hands on experience with routers as you can. There are also some good router simulators for troubleshooting practice. Troublshooting is a large part of the exam, and you should know your stuff inside out.

Best of luck with the exam next time mate, put in the work and you'll get the results.

Actions

This Discussion