Views
Helpful
Replies

WGB and 4402 WLC

dselfridge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My customer want's to connect some printers to the WLAN. I'm trying to use a 1242 autonomous AP in Workgroup Bridge mode (Ver. 12.4(3g)JA1). The controller is running 4.1.171. The printers have a Parallel to ethernet(RJ45) converter on them.

Trouble is that I can't connect to the WLAN, The error message on the wgb is;

'Interface Dot11Radio0, cannot associate: No WPAIE exist for the ssid (Hidden)'

and;

'Interface Dot11Radio0, cannot associate: WPAIE invalid multicast suite exp=0x0050F205 act=0x0050F202'

I know that AP1000's are not supported but my customer is using AP1010's are these supported?

If not, can anyone suggest a good wireless printserver with a parallel port to use on a controller based network? I'm using WPA PSK.

24 Replies 24

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

Autonomous AP do not communicate with controller based architecture.

According to the 4.1.171.0 release notes this has changed.

---------------

Workgroup bridge (WGB) support?Cisco Aironet autonomous access points operating in WGB mode can now associate to Cisco Aironet lightweight access points (except Cisco Airespace AP1000 series access points) to provide an 802.11 wireless connection to wired devices. The WGB is supported only in client mode and not in infrastructure mode and must run Cisco IOS Release 12.4(3g)JA or later (on 32-MB access points) or Cisco IOS Release 12.3(8)JEB or later (on 16-MB access points). WGB functionality is not supported for use with hybrid REAP.

The autonomous WGB access point learns the MAC address of the wired client and then informs the lightweight access point and controller that the device is operating on the wireless network. This scenario provides transparent bridging for wired clients and secure roaming.

--------------------

I'm trying to figure out the same thing using 1131 LWAPPs and a 1242 IOS as the WGB. No luck so far, and the examples really don't apply in this case.

Hi Nichnw,

Thanks for that. I saw those release notes too. It's this line that confuses me;

"(except Cisco Airespace AP1000 series access points)"

Is the AP1010 part of the 1000 series? (I assume it is) I'm also confused, in that the 1131 in your case should work. Is your 1242 running the latest IOS?

My customer has opted to upgrade the Printers to a newer model with an 'in-built' wireless NIC. So we'll see how they get on with that.

Thanks for your reply.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes AP1010 is a part of 1000 series and will not work as WGB.

HTH

Ankur

Hello I have the same trouble with WLC 4402 version 4.1.185.0 with LAP1240 and IOS-AP 1121 as WGB-client => "cannot associate : no cisco parent" error message on WGB AP !

no luke for me it is for industrial devices with no possibility to have wifi interfaces ...

Thanks for any help !

Make sure you have the WGB set for Universal mode, that's the only way it will work.

Under the radio interface:

station-role workgroup-bridge universal 00xx.xxxx.xxxx (Connecting station MAC address)

I just got my 1242 working with no device attached.

ecornwell,

Does that mean that the WGB will onlt support one wired client?

My first step was to get it working, then the second step was to connect a small switch or hub and have 2 or 3 printers on one WGB.

It would work out very expensive if we had to get a new AP/WGB for every wired client that needs to get on the WLAN.

Incidentally, my client bought in new Zebra label printers, with Cisco CB21AG cards in them. Still, they won't connect! Strange!

Dan.

Dan,

From what I understand, the only way to get WGB functionality from an AP to an LWAPP network is to use the Universal function which limits you to a single client.

I haven't been able to get my Client to communicate with the network yet but the AP has.

Eric

You can only support one client but there is a work around. It's a bit tedious, but you can add a small router to do NAT on the remote side. The router will use the one IP address and the dhcp pool will allow multiple clients to attach. If you need direct mapping you should use a router that supports that. By the way, 1000 series is 1010, 1020, and 1030 APs. These are all EOL.

nichnw
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the config I ended up with that appears to work. However, I do notice that about once a day I get a drop in connectivity. I plan on opening a TAC case, but have been busy.

This config is for WPA1/2 with TKIP or AES-CCMP, with LEAP authentication. I have stripped out irrelevant parts.

--------------------------------------------

hostname WRKBRIDGE01

!

enable secret

!

no aaa new-model

!

dot11 ssid wpa2ssid

authentication open eap eap_methods

authentication network-eap eap_methods

authentication key-management wpa

authentication client username apusername password appassword

!

username admin privilege 15 password adminpass

!

bridge irb

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

!

ssid wpa2ssid

!

station-role workgroup-bridge

mobile station scan 2412 2437 2462

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface FastEthernet0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

bridge-group 1

!

interface BVI1

ip address dhcp

no ip route-cache

!

bridge 1 route ip

!

line con 0

password

transport preferred none

line vty 0 15

password

login local

transport preferred none

!

end

--------------------------------------------

I have something very similar. I have it half working. When the AP connects it can get a DHCP address and work with no problems. When I plug a PC into the ethernet port, neither the AP or the PC can send or recieve data.

Here's the important parts from the config...

dot11 ssid MySSID

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa

wpa-psk ascii mykey

power inline negotiation prestandard source

!

!

username User password ........

!

bridge irb

!

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption mode ciphers tkip

!

ssid MySSID

!

station-role workgroup-bridge universal xxxx.xxxx.xxxx (The connecting PC's MAC)

mobile station period 20 threshold 70

infrastructure-client

bridge-group 1

!

interface FastEthernet0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

bridge-group 1

!

interface BVI1

ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet0

no ip route-cache

!

ip default-gateway 1.1.1.1

ip http server

no ip http secure-server

!

bridge 1 route ip

bridge 1 aging-time 120

I don't understand why it doesn't work when the PC is plugged in... In my controller, I show it assoicated with the PC's MAC address but it never gets an IP.

Are you seeing anything in the trap or message log on the controller when it stops working?

What rev of code on the controller?

Also, is the PC set to DHCP as well, or static?

Our Controllers are running 4.1.185.0

I haven't seen anything in the controller that would indicate an error.

I did just stumble on to something... I did a debug client in the controller and when I try to do a DHCP renew, the controller sees the traffic and gets an IP for the PC but the PC isn't getting the traffic. It's almost like the AP isn't forwading on the traffic.

Just as an FYI, We got it working!

We had to upgrade the IOS of the AP to the lastest version then it took off. 12.4(10b) JA (At the time of this post.)

Does anyone know if you can still manage the AP's remotely when they are configured this way?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: