cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changes to UnityDb.bak & ReportDb.bak

lolu.oshunbiyi
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Unity server running voicemail only on box 4.2(1) that is very low on disk space. Is it possible to change the location of the Report.Db.bak & UnityDb.bak files to a network drive?

Also would there be a problem to run the SqlWeeklyBackupJob twice a week say Wednesday & Sunday as this does shrink the database and reclaim disk space?

Thanks,

Lolu

4 Replies 4

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Here is a forum entry I opened in 2005 for the same reason - http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dda1979

This process works really well! Another thought, move the *bak files to a different drive than Unity or your OS if possible (especially if Unity and OS on C drive). This past Sunday, I had a backed up mirror that failed to power up after application of a failed security update. Lost my OS due to critical files missing. I was able to recover the C drive from an earlier mirrored backup drive from August 5th. The OS and Unity came up OK, just was out of date by about 3 weeks! I was able to work with TAC to restore my UnityDb to current because I had the UnityDb.bak available on a different mirror set taken at 3:00 AM that morning. Went into SQL Enterprise Manager and restored the Unity database from the *bak file. The only other folder I needed to restore, which we did from our Veritas backup, was the Stream Files folder. Ran a DbWalker following this recovery with no errors. So having the UnityDb.bak file on a different drive saved my bacon big time.

Sincerely, Ginger

lolu.oshunbiyi
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Ginger, this is quite an old server that will be replaces shortly. Unfortunatley Unity & OS are on the the C drive and I do not have another drive to change the location to on the server itself, hence the question if there would be any complications using a network drive on another server?

Thanks,

Lolu

Hi Lolu -

I would be hesitant to use a networked drive. Just a thought - have you already taken steps to clean up your C drive disk files? For example, you can typically delete:

1. All $ntUninstall* and $NtServicePackUninstall* files older than the current month (these are OS and security update uninstall files) from the C:\Windows directory or C:\WinNT if running Windows 2000.

2. From the same directory, all KB*.log files

3. Check for any minidump files and delete if not needed (or copy these to networked drive and delete from C)

Ginger

Ginger,

Thanks, there were a couple of the $ntUninstall files and I managed to reclaim around 200MB.

The problem is the ReportDb.bak grows to around 300MB and the UnityDb.bak to around 600MB by the end of the week, so I have scheduled the sql weekly backup to run on Wednesday as well as Sunday as it does a full backup and seems to get rid of the daily differential backups hence saving space.

Lolu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: