cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks LMS 2.6 reinstallation from scratch

ppoiron
Level 1
Level 1

I have to reinstall from scratch a LMS 2.6.

That platform was previously installed in LMS 2.2, migrated in LMS 2.5-UR with an unrestricted licence, then in 2.5.1 by a patch and finally migrated in LMS 2.6 with by a patch.

As I must reinstall it, I would like to have some advise about the way to do it.

Could you confirm that I can begin the installation directly with the LMS 2.5 CD, followed by the upgrade LMS 2.5.1 and finally update LMS 2.6 or must I reinstall LMS 2.2 first and the other steps after ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Patrice

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As long as you install from official media, it doesn't matter if it's an NFR disc or a resale disc. Once the software is installed, then you can add the customer license later. The customer cannot use the NFR license, though. You must select Evaluation until you can get an official license.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You shouldn't have to install LMS 2.2 prior to 2.5/2.6, however, keep these cd's handy.

You'll want to install LMS 2.5 on the server making sure all prereqs are met in case you made OS changes. Once this is done, you'll want to use your LMS 2.2 cd's to validate your LMS 2.5 license as its most likely an upgrade license.

Once you have validated the license I would proceed with patch to LMS 2.5.1 and then 2.6

What does it mean to use the LMS 2.2 cd's to validate teh LMS 2.5 license? I too have the 2.5 license and installation media. The license says it is an upgrade license. I went on line and got a license using the pin and PAK. I loaded the media on a Windows Server 2003 R2 sp2 OS. I then loaded the 2.6 patch bundle. This was done off internet so that I could test the ability to load the CW in a classified area.

There was a problem with the install. The license appeared to work and when the application was invoked, it came up. Unfortunately there was a problem with getting cookies enabled in the IE 6 that came with 2003 R2. They appeared to be enabled but the CW login screen showed that they weren't.

I enabled all cookies in the privacy tab of IE. I also unchecked the IE security windows component in the add remove programs area of IE/ windows components.

Windows server 2003 R2 has a tightly integrated implemenation of IE. It can't be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Java in CW is tightly integrated into the CW application. It doesn't show up in the add remove programs of the server.

The login screen of CW appears to be powered by a java script.

Where is the problem? Is it in some kind of interoperability issue between Cisco Works LMS and Windows 2003 R2 and or IE and or Apache and or java? Am I running the correct version of LMS? Is there a licensing issue?

I've got a couple of days invested in the installation. I was able to login to LMS with the Firefox browser, but it wouldn't let me use CiscoView, (unsupported browser). Another part of LMS tried to download a plugin for Firefox, but I am off line and it didn't identify which of 2000 plugins it was trying to download.

Anybody have any light they can shed? thx

As I have upgrade licences, is there a way to install it directly in LMS 2.6 by using a Not for Resale CD and to insert the real customer licences ?

I will gain a great time for the reinstallation.

As long as you install from official media, it doesn't matter if it's an NFR disc or a resale disc. Once the software is installed, then you can add the customer license later. The customer cannot use the NFR license, though. You must select Evaluation until you can get an official license.

I understand, but I just would like to be sure that it could work by installing LMS from an LMS 2.6 NFR and then add the update customer license later (The customer license is an official license but coming from an update LMS 2.2 to LMS 2.5 followed by the LMS 2.6 patch; it's not a full LMS 2.6 license).

As I will do the operation tomorrow morning, could you please confirm that I can install directly LMS from 2.6 NFR even if I have only LMS 2.2 to 2.5 customer update licenses ?

As I already said, yes, you can install from official NFR media. If you have an upgrade license for 2.5, that is fine. However, you will need to validate that license against a previous copy of 2.2 (either a running copy, or the RME 3.5 and DFM 1.2 CDs).

bruce.porter
Level 1
Level 1

What a nightmare getting the "Cookies Disabled" problem from showing up in the Cisco Works LMS login window. Following these steps got it to work correctly.

Once more time could you go through these steps and verify you settings and let me know anything different on you server.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000_d/cs303/ig_win/prep.htm#wp1014155

At IE > Tools > Options > Privacy > Advanced, check "Override automatic cookie handling" box, select to Accept First-party and Third-party Cookies, as well as check "Always allow session cookies" box.

On the Tools > Internet Options > General page, click Settings under Temporary Internet files group. Select the "Every visit to the page" radio button and click OK twice.

Clear the browser cache at IE > Tools > Internet Options: Delete Cookies

*and* Clear

History. Then try to login to CiscoWorks again.

When you login to CiscoWorks, use the ip address (http://x.x.x.x:1741).

Trying reloading the browser (press the shift key and reload)..any change?

By the way, I forgot to say that there may have been Java issues... I downloaded JRE 1.4.2_10, but I am sure a later version would have worked.

As I promised, here is link where you can download the Java Runtime Environment version 1.4.2_10:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.4.2_10/index.html

You can always check the system requirements to run CiscoWorks LMS 2.6:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2425/products_quick_start09186a008073eddf.html#wp1027299

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco