Interface portchannel 21

Ip address 192.168.10.1

Sw2

Interface range gig 1/19- 20

No switch port

Channel-group 12 mode desirable

Interface portchannel 21

Ip address 192.168.10.1

The 192.168.10.0 is declared in OSPF.I have other layer 3 vlan 10, vlan 12, vlan 14 where I am enabling The HSRP on these interfaces.

Sw1 and sw2 are connected via L3 portchannel.

My question is will the HSRP advertisement pass over the L3 port channel.

Can we make it work so that HSRP adv goes via L3 port channel and functions good

7 Replies 7

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

i think it makes no sens to use hsrp and a layer3 link between the 2 switches.

hsrp traffic uses multicast as destination mac @, so there must be a layer 2 link for hsrp to reach neighbors (vlan in other switch)

if I enable IP PIM SPARSE MODE on the L3 port channel then will the HSRP groups start communicating over the L3

Hi

No it won't because HSRP uses the address 224.0.0.2 and the 224.0.0.x multicast addresses have a ttl of 1 only ie. they are local only to their own subnet.

HTH

Jon

so if I increase the TTL from 1 to 3 of Multicast stream and if Enable ip pim sparse on both the switches then I guess HSRP packets wil be exchanged across

Hi

You can't increase the ttl of 224.0.0.x addresses or have i misunderstood what you are asking ?

Jon

Please refer the attachment.You will see that Ten gig blade is connected between core 1 & 2 and runs ospf on /31 point- point .

There are gigabit ports 1 each on core 1 and 2 whic is enabled for layer 3 and has HSRP configured

please go thru and let me know if HSRP hello will be exchanged on Group 1 and group 2

between core 1 & 2 routers

if we speak about designing hsrp, in general it is supposed that one gateway could be either in core1 or core2. that means int vlan1 for example in core 1 and 2 have ip addresses in the same subnet.

now if you will connect core 1 and core 2 by a l3 connection, how can the 2 ip @ belong to same subnet ?

so i think you must have a l2 link between core 1 and 2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card