cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USR 56 Fax Modem Fails to As5400 Nextport Modems

pierroj
Level 1
Level 1

I have cut over an 800 # to my As5400's and a some users with USR 56k Fax modems can not negotiate a connect. Does anyone know of any possible fixes either to USR modem or As5400.

I have set modemcap on AS5400 to S29=6 to skip V.92. It appears I have the same problem if these USR modems dial an As5300 with Mica modems also.

Need some recommendations to try

2 Replies 2

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

When implementing Store and Forward Fax on a modem card, the off-ramp gateway does not necessarily need to have MMoIP dial peers configured to establish connectivity with the receiving fax device; therefore, off-ramp MMoIP dial peers are optional when using a modem card. You basically use off-ramp MMoIP dial peers if you need to specify a particular resolution for the fax transmission or if you need to define an encoding type. For example, it might suit your company's needs to send the fax-mail using the least definition as possible to save network resources. In that case, you might want to define a higher image resolution using an off-ramp MMoIP dial peer. Another case where you might want to use an MMoIP dial peer would be if the fax devices in your network could only process a particular type of encoding or compression. If you do decide to configure a MMoIP dial peer, be sure to match the incoming called number command value with the destination pattern telephone number you configured for the corresponding on-ramp POTS dial peer.

Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only general problem that I know of with these USR modems was the bug when they first came out with V.92 - but turning off V.92 should have worked around this problem. (Are you SURE that the S29=6 is taking?)

You might test with +PIG=1 on the client (see http://www.modemsite.com/56k/v92bug.asp) just to make sure.

Beyond this, the only thing I would try is detuning the USRs. I.e. try disabling V.90 on them; try capping V.34 at 28800 bps; disable V.34 and try V.32bis; etc.

Good luck,

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: