Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-4ESW connecting to MPLS provider

san-pandey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently connecting to a MPLS provider and will be connecting to another provider soon. As a temporary solution I have to use the same router to connect to the second MPLS provider as well. At the moment I only have HWIC-4ESW on the exisitng router. I am thinking of creating one port from the 4ESW to VLANx and then linking that VLAN to a SVI. Making the SVI the CE IP interface.

Questions:

1) Does this work?

2) for the 4 port can I have separate VLANS for each port and link that to 4 different SVI?

thanks,

san

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi san,

Yes i was referring to both questions. Each switch port can be assigned to its own VLAN, effectively providing four additional routed ports (SVI) and give the ip addresses under the VLAN interfaces, but take care of this "However, there are serious performance and feature limitations to doing this. The VLAN interfaces are truly Layer 3 switching interfaces and are treated uniquely among interface types on the router. Many features are not supported or tested on these interfaces, including Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPOE) termination, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol Version 3 (L2TPv3) termination, MAC address assignment, Layer 3 QoS, and others. You should carefully test any desired feature and solution prior to deploying it.", however i've used this scenario in the lab and haven't face much of a problem, but as Cisco recommends you should test the desired features and solution prior to deploying it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd8016c026.shtml

I hope that i've been informative.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi San,

Yes it is doable in the way you've described.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks. Are you referring to both questions? does the second question also work? or does all the switch port have to be in the same VLAN?

thanks,

san

Hi san,

Yes i was referring to both questions. Each switch port can be assigned to its own VLAN, effectively providing four additional routed ports (SVI) and give the ip addresses under the VLAN interfaces, but take care of this "However, there are serious performance and feature limitations to doing this. The VLAN interfaces are truly Layer 3 switching interfaces and are treated uniquely among interface types on the router. Many features are not supported or tested on these interfaces, including Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPOE) termination, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol Version 3 (L2TPv3) termination, MAC address assignment, Layer 3 QoS, and others. You should carefully test any desired feature and solution prior to deploying it.", however i've used this scenario in the lab and haven't face much of a problem, but as Cisco recommends you should test the desired features and solution prior to deploying it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd8016c026.shtml

I hope that i've been informative.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your help.

tahnks,

san

Hi San,

You are very welcomed :), and thank you for using the rating system.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: