Best Practice Regarding Large Mobility Groups

Unanswered Question
Sep 1st, 2007

I was reading the WLC Best Practices and was wondering if anyone could put a number to this statement regarding the largest number of APs, end users, and controllers which can contained in a Mobility Group.

We would be deploying WiSMs in two geographically dispersed data centers. No voice is being used or is planned.

"Do not create unnecessarily large mobility groups. A mobility group should only have all controllers that have access points in the area where a client can physically roam, for example all controllers with access points in a building. If you have a scenario where several buildings are separated, they should be broken into several mobility groups. This saves memory and CPU, as controllers do not need to keep large lists of valid clients, rogues and access points inside the group, which would not interact anyway.

Keep in mind that WLC redundancy is achieved through the mobility groups. So it might be necessary in some situations to increase the mobility group size, including additional controllers for

redundancy (N+1 topology for example)."

I would be interested in hearing about scenarios where a Catalyst 6509 with 5 WiSM blades is deployed in data centers which back each other up for cases of disaster recovery.

Can I have one large Mobility group? This would be easier to manage.

or

Would it be better to back up each blade with a blade in the second data center? This would call for smaller Mobility Groups.

Be glad to elaborate further if anyone has a similar experience and needs more information.

All responses will be rated.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam