cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic configuration tool

ciscors
Level 1
Level 1

Guys, is the Dynamic configuration tool pretty reliable? I have to configure a bunch of 6500's & 4500's.

Also, is there a power configurator which allows you to fill in modules into a 6500 like POE, etc and it'll tell you exactly what power supply you'll need and how much power you'll consume?

Thank you

2 Replies 2

ciscors
Level 1
Level 1

Also, any other resources you can think of would help including distributors like tech data & ingram if they're any good

Thx

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

I used to always use the dynamic configurator tool for 6500 switches and still would if i was ordering any new modules etc. I have found it to be very reliable and it is a good check to ensure you don't order incompatible parts.

Haven't used it for 4500 switches so can't really comment but the 4500's don't have as many options as 6500's so it's generally easier to get order right.

Yes there is a PoE calculator

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_tools_by_category.html#tshoot

You need an account to access it. Be aware with modular switches you can run your power in

1) combined mode. Both power supplies are used to power devices

2) redundant mode. Only one power supply is used to power devices and the second is purely there for failover.

Obviously with option 1) if you lose a power supply you lose some devices.

With option 2) you can lose a power supply and still power all your devices.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card