cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

building a home training network

wmeier5
Level 1
Level 1

I am a CCNA however, I have more time on SIMs than on routers. On the job, most of my work is with legacy serial or ATM equipment. I need to build a home network. If I buy used routers and switches how do I get the latest IOS so I can practice the CCNP lessons?

5 Replies 5

nambi_gct
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,You need to check with your equipment reseller about this.They will be able to give the rigt information.

avmabe
Level 3
Level 3

You need a CCO login and rights to download the software for the devices.

O.K., I will bite. How do I get the rights? Is there a "right" to use as long as you use it for learning and not profiting?

You have to have a support contract on the devices. I'm not aware of any other method. I'd recommend when you purchase them to research and buy the ones with the latest codes they support.

fred.mancen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi buddy.

While you do not purchase these devices, you can practice using the Dynamips simulator. It uses real IOS images and supports the 2800, 3600, 3725 and 7200 series and versions. You can find valuable info on the web regarding Dynamips, and you can design your network just editing the lab file. It is possible to change routes with a real router, for example. It is not the same fun, but is really useful to learn about networking.

I hope it helps.

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card