Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS9120 continually boots to loader prompt

JRJSmith_WKL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've been asked to configure our MDS9120 from scratch. When it boots, it ends with the loader> prompt.

I checked the contents of bootflash: and there are three files:

- lost+found

- the kick-start file

- the SAN-OS file

I booted the kick-start file and used that to load the SAN-OS file - Release 2.1.(2d). I performed Basic Configuration; did a copy running-config startup-config command and rebooted (power-cycled) the switch. It just boots to the loader> prompt.

I'm obviously doing something wrong or missing an important step. I thought that copying the runnig configuration to the start-up configuration would cause the switch to boot into the basically configured SAN-OS so that I could continue with more detailed configuration (a step-at-a-time because I'm new to SAN-OS).

Can anyone point me to my error and how to overcome it, please?

Many thanks

Joe.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure you have boot statements in the running config pointing to the kickstart and systems images. There should commands that are boot kickstart bootflash:/name of kickstart image and boot system bootflash:/name of system image. If these are not in the running config, you can insert them or use the install all comand to have the system insert them for you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure you have boot statements in the running config pointing to the kickstart and systems images. There should commands that are boot kickstart bootflash:/name of kickstart image and boot system bootflash:/name of system image. If these are not in the running config, you can insert them or use the install all comand to have the system insert them for you.

Many thanks for this information. I shall check that these boot statements are in the running config when I return to work tomorrow.

Thanks again

Joe.

Hi there,

Many thanks for your response.

As you knew, and I had to discover, your response answered my issue perfectly.

The switch now boots into SAN-OS.

Thanks again,

Joe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: