cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Outage

mrlee
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue with three switches at work all are cisco 3524's.

Every Friday the same 3 switches drop off of snmp monitoring only for a matter of seconds but every friday without fail.

Nothing shows up in the local log files on each device.....or on the 6509 where they interconnect.

I would appreciate any logical advice.

4 Replies 4

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

He Pete, this is a very strange event, are you the only one who manages the cisco devices? or are they other network administrators who have access to your switches, any indications in the logs of bouncing interfaces indicating bridging loops? if the answer is no , then this sounds as someone may know admin passwords to your equipment, change enable secret passwords on these devices to rule that out.

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge,

There are 2 system administrators with full access all other users are granted granular access via ACS depending on what we allow them to access (not enable, only show *).

If anyone logs in to the Network it is recorded (including Administrators), so I dont think the issue is with the passwords.

Thanks for your input though.

Regards,

Pete

I have solved it!

There was a script running backing up the switch configs on a weekly basis the script was somehow hogging the cpu and causing the momentary blip.

Thanks anyway for taking time out to respond.

Regards,

Pete

Pete, that is good to know, and thank you for posting the resolution.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card