Views
Helpful
Replies

Native Vlan & Management Vlan

dprada-gns
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that there are three types of traffic in a switch enviroment:

-Control Traffic (i.e. CDP, VTP always use VLAN 1)

-Management Traffic (i.e. telnet, snmp -Vlan 100)

-End user traffic (all of the remaining traffic - i.e. Vlans 10, 20, 30)

I understand that I never mix end-user traffic with control and management traffic.

My question is about the native vlan.

I want to know if the Management Vlan must be the same Native Vlan in a switch enviroment.

Thanks in advanced.

Diego Prada

4 Replies 4

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Diego,

There is no relation between the management VLAN and the Native VLAN, a Native VLAN is a concept in trunking. The native VLAN is the VLAN to which a port returns when it is not trunking (simply if a PC is connected to a trunk port, the PC will operate in the Native VLAN - by default 1). Also, the native VLAN is the untagged VLAN on an IEEE 802.1Q trunk. Make sure the native VLAN for an 802.1Q trunk is the same on both ends of the trunk link. If the VLAN on one end of the trunk is different from the VLAN on the other end, spanning tree loops might result.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your answer,

I have another question related:

By default the 1242 APs must be configure with the management vlan as a native vlan.

It's possible to configure a Management vlan in the Access Point 1242 different than the Native Vlan. ?

Thanks

Hi, there is no specific configuration to cretae a management vlan.It is a best practice to use one vlan and may be some subnets dedicatedly for managing the network.

Some designs provide physical links also for management purpose because management vlan carries out of band or control traffic.Mohammed,Please correct me if i am wrong.

Hi Diego,

I am not aware of th 1242 AP (but i found the same constrain that you specified, may be its better for you to post this question in the wireless forum), but for normal switched networks, there is no relation between Native VLAN and Management VLAN, and as Arivudainambi pointed out the management VLAN can be any VLAN, and as a best practice we can use a dedicated management VLAN.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card