cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Try to set up VPN on ASA5505

williamtsang
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new ASA5505 firewall, it's outside interface is 192.168.255.1. In front of it, there is a Cisco router, the outside interface is 220.x.x.x. and internal interface is 192.168.255.254. Now I have configured the VPN for client remote access on 5505, and I set a NAT on the router to map one of my spared public address 220.x.x.24 to 192.168.255.1. However, I received an error message "The remote peer is no longer responding" when I try to connect with the VPN client.

Could someone assist and let me know what did I miss?

Thanks

William

1 Reply 1

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

The symptom of this problem is that the Linux Client seems to try to connect, but it never gets a response from the gateway device. The Linux OS has a built-in firewall (ipchains) that blocks UDP port 500, UDP port 1000, and Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) packets. Since the firewall is on by default, you either have to disable the firewall or open up the ports for IPsec communication for both inbound and outbound connections to fix the problem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: