The problem of Cisco Wireless go with Macbook

Unanswered Question
Sep 2nd, 2007

I install >100 Lightweight AP (1131AG)in a School, we don't have any problem on deploy WLC and WCS (include multicast routing...). We don't have any problem for connect Macbook or laptop in wireless, but we have a problem for the macbook in loadblancing. In a Hall, it have 3AP in there, but when a lot of peoples group in a place one of the access point will be very busy, and the performance will be drop down, but it have 2AP near there(within 10-20M). It have a event log in WLC & WCS,

(AP "AP NAME", interface '802.11b/g'. load threshold violated), but it have 3AP in there.

We try to limit the no. of clients to associate but not work. I know Macbook is not CCX client, but anybody can help.

WLC Ver. 4.1.171.0

WCS Ver. 4.1.19.0

I know Cisco have a successful case for Cisco wireless and Apple Macbook in Empire High School

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Security%20and%20Network%20Management&needs_authentication=yes&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dadd_discussion%26mode%3Dshow%26needs_authentication%3Dyes%26location%3D.ee6e8c0

Anybody can tell me how they do can overcome the problem?

Thank you very much

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
imnelsonchan Sun, 09/09/2007 - 20:12

Thanks for your reply

We had choose it, and we group the AP in a controller before, but can not do that. And will I disable to support CCX client will be better??

thank you very much

Attachment: 
ericgarnel Mon, 09/10/2007 - 05:23

Aggressive load balancing may introduce more issues than it resolves. If you search TAC there are several cases in which they recommend turning it off.

Also, if you happen to use ip phones such as the 7920 on your wireless network, you will want it off too.

Our client experience has been much smoother since we have turned it off.

imnelsonchan Mon, 09/10/2007 - 06:01

thank your your reply

If I disable Aggressive load balancing, our wireless access point how to being load balancing?

Do you have any suggestion to me to config the WLC(Load balancing)?

ericgarnel Mon, 09/10/2007 - 06:15

here is a good start:

Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) Configuration Best Practices

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a0080810880.shtml

It depends on your AP coverage as well as client radio factors

from the url above

"Do not enable aggressive load balancing unless the network has available a high density of access points in the area, and never if there is voice over wireless. If you enable this feature with access points spaced to far away from each other, it might confuse the roaming algorithm of some clients, and induce coverage holes in some cases. In the latest software versions, this feature is disabled by default."

You can set the user limit per radio and load balancing will still occur seamlessly

imnelsonchan Tue, 09/11/2007 - 18:38

Thank for your reply

We had try to limit the numbers of user in each RF interface in AP1131. e.g. I set one RF interface and limit for 10users used, but in the WCS and WLC, it display more than 10 macbooks is using the RF interface. We cannot stop the macbooks to associate the RF interface in the access point.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network