cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan problem

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to seperate my network with Vlans.

I have a router connected to a Switch 3550(A) that switch connected to onother Switch 3550(B) and the last connected to a Switch 2950(C)

So I made all links between them trunk links dot1q exept 2950 leaving it default.

I create a Vlan 161 on A which is the VTP Server. Also B is a VTP server.

I encapsulated the interface on router with the ip of Vlan 161. Also configure the DHCP server with that ip .

Then I connected the B to C to a trunk link. I configures a port F0/8 as an access port to VLAN 161.

I put two ips on switch C int Vlan1 and interface Vlan161 with the proper ips.

I tried to see the pc which was working on port f0/8

I got an ip correctly , I could work on every device in my network but I could not ping the switch C or telnet. I could ping the router and the other switches but not the C. Then I changed the access to that port f0/8 to Vlan 1 and everything was fine. Of course it got the ip from Vlan 1 .

What is the problem

Thanks

moses

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the PCs will have access mode for Vlan161, then shutdown Vlan1 and enter an IP address under the interface Vlan161 then perform a no shut on that interface.

Ex,

workstation [192.168.161.50] -> port 8 on 2950 [switchport access vlan 161]

On the switch config

interface vlan 1

shut

interface vlan 161

ip add 192.168.161.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

You should be able to ping that interface from your workstation.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2950 is a layer2 switch and it only allows you to have one IP management interface up at the same time.

In order to be able to ping Vlan161, you must shutdown Vlan1 and issue a 'no shut' on Vlan161.

You can have multiple Layer3 interfaces on the 3550 switches, though.

Thanks for that.

If i use int Vlan 1 and configure it with ip address of Vlan 161 , is that ok or i have to create int Vlan 161.

Thanks again

moses

Yes, you can do that but if you use Vlan1 with the IP address from Vlan161, you need to make sure the workstations are part of Vlan1.

Yes i mean about the interface of Vlan 1. Can i put the ip address of Vlan 161 . The pcs will have mode access of Vlan 161.

moses

If the PCs will have access mode for Vlan161, then shutdown Vlan1 and enter an IP address under the interface Vlan161 then perform a no shut on that interface.

Ex,

workstation [192.168.161.50] -> port 8 on 2950 [switchport access vlan 161]

On the switch config

interface vlan 1

shut

interface vlan 161

ip add 192.168.161.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

You should be able to ping that interface from your workstation.

Thanks a lot sir. You saved me hours of working tomorrow.

Thanks a lot

moses

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco