Can files be saved on cisco routers? (And other green Cisco user questions)

Unanswered Question
Sep 3rd, 2007

Hello there,

First time poster, green at using Cisco routers. I am telnet'ing into a Cisco router and have been given the job of finding out what commands I can run on it.

I am creating a script to tell me what commands can be run on the router. My problems:

1. I cannot seem to create the files that will house this information

2. I don't know if files can be saved on Cisco routers at all

3. I don't know if the telnet software I have allows me to save log files of my actions/output when connected to the router (i.e. so that I save the information I generate on files on my local computer, and not on the remote router)

Is this possible? Has anyone tried to do anything like this before? I am up for ideas at this point and would appreciate any kind of assistance, even if it's the "you should really be working on this yourself" reply.

Here's my pseudocode for the basic program so far:

**********************pseudocode begin

initialize variables

initialize file system

send help command to screen

while there's output

check each line of output

If you see the command prompt Then

exit Do

End If

'ok, so we know each line has output

grab output

trim output

send output to file

'what file? file on router or

'file on local computer?

terminate files and other objects

**********************pseudocode end

Thanks again.

P.S. when I send the help command to the screen, my script sends the "?" keyword (the question mark) to list the commands that can be run. Unfortunately there is no way to add anything to this because when the ? key is typed in, a carriage return automatically follows (so I can't simply feed the command output to a file like "? > blahblah.txt", although I wish I could).

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

This Discussion