cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Connection Established but now cannot access the internet

dchesterton
Level 1
Level 1

I am running Mac OS X 10.4 and have successfully downloaded Cisco VPN Client version 4.9.01.0080.

Although I can successfully establish a connection, I am no longer able to connect to the internet - my internet connection can only be regained if I disconnect from the VPN.

Please note I am NOT a technical resource so please provide the 'for dumnmies' version of any suggestions!

Thanks.

Debra

9 Replies 9

zafarc469
Level 1
Level 1

you need to enable vpn tunnel splitting on ur vpn device

Thanks.

I checked this in the client transport settings and it is ticked for Enable Transport Tunneling (UDP).

Any other thoughts?

not in client, you need to enable vpn tunnel splitting on ur VPN Server that can be router / pix or ASA box

I have the same problem and I did enable split tunneling and it works fine on my Windows machines. It is my MAC machines running 10.4 that do not work. I am running Cisco VPN Client Cisco VPN Client - 4.9.01.0080 which was the latest I could find and I think it is the latest.

Is this a Cisco VPN client issue or is this still PIX configuration? I run a PIX 506E.

this is PIX configuration issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009442e.shtml

access-list 101 for split-tunneling

access-list 101 permit ip 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.2.0 255.255.255.0

vpngroup vpn3000 split-tunnel 101

Ok I'm confused. What does 10.1.1.0 represent? The inside network or the VPN pool? And what does 10.1.2.0 represent?

And understand that my Windows machines DO get local Internet, it is only my MACs.

Thanks.

10.1.1.0 inside network

10.1.2.0 VPN POOL

I am still unable to get out on the Internet. Ironically, my Skype still works. I cannot reach Internet sites by name. After carefully going through config I already had split-tunneling which is why it works for my Windows machines.

I have only tested this Macbook Pro 17 and no other MAc frankly, but I'll try on another Mac.

Any other ideas a.alekseev?

This is what I have done:

I have split tunneling, I have the newest Cisco VPN Client for Mac, I can VPN in with my username and everything, ut I cannot hit websites by name. Basically I am unable to resolve. I opened a gaping hole on the firewall just to test and still nothing.

What's next?

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I took off this line off my PIX:

vpngroup (vpnname here) dns server x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

I was forcing VPN to the clients when I didn't have to. The problem with that is that MAC 10.4 automatically re-writes its own file called resolv.conf on the etc folder. This file posts the name servers acquired from the VPN. If the PIX does not push DNS Servers the file keeps its original configs which allows local Internet access.

hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: