cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCIE certification

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi every1 i m pursuing ccie certification, but as u guys know that ccie number is increasing so rapidly that i m sure by end of this year it will exceed 19000 !! do u think is it still worthwile to go after this certification ? i m not gonna stop my preparation but still want ur review on it,

18 Replies 18

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

I live by a simple rule in this matter, if the number is rising up and all those are real CCIEs, then the field would take them as this career is getting wider an wider each day, plus there is always a space for a CCIE, a good CCIE and an excellent CCIE, and on the other hand if many of them are paper CCIEs, then it won't take the person who is interviewing them more than 10min to understand this.

Just my opinion.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

I would second Mohammed's comments and would just like to add. CCIE certification will only make you better at what you do. If you pursue it because of the interest you have in the subject and your desire to learn more then it is absolutely worthwhile pursuing it, whichever track.

I would do so myseif i weren't so bone idle :-).

Jon

abbas.wasim
Level 1
Level 1

dude go for it, theres 10 million doctors on the streets but they still earn so why wouldn't you?

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't be caught up on the numbers. They are increasing so rapidly because people in the field are seeing its value.

Many companies are demanding current/future employees to have such certification. They don't want someone touching their network without the highest level of certification.

Keep in mind, being a CCIE doesn't make you any better than those without the CCIE. I've come across individuals without a CCNA that know their way around a Cisco network. IMHO, they are truly expert - CCIE caliber expert but either they don't have the time or dedication to pass a Cisco exam. I don't knock them for that.

However, now that companies are demanding such certification, the testing centers are booked with high demand. Getting a Lab date for the CCIE is as hard as passing the Lab !

The number can be as high as 100,000, but it doesn't take away that you are a CCIE.

BTW, there aren't 19,000 CCIEs out there. As of August 2nd, there are only 15,062

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/certified_ccies/worldwide.html

I checked on internetwork and ipexpert site and even my friend got his CCIE in Feb his number was in 17000, i dont know why cisco is misreporting the numbers but they are more than wat they have documented, wat u guys think about juniper certification isnt it much more valuable than cisco's ? i have seen people who have never seen IPS or ASA but they are certified CCSP, whereas juniper takes a lab exam at its professional level, i m not here arguing whos better just want to know about wht u guys think about it, thts for sure that juniper is a competitve vendor so is it wise to pursue its certification ?

thanks

My number is 17943

Cisco isn't misreporting the numbers. The numbering system started at 1024, there isn't a CCIE #1

You also have to account for CCIEs who have lost their number for various reasons. The total count is presented on the link I posted.

I can't comment on other certifications. You have to decide what you love to do. If you love working with Cisco products, then the clear path is obtaining a CCNP or CCIE. If you enjoy working with Juniper products, then choose their certification path.

We can't make that choice for you. Good luck !

Thanks for all ur replys every1, i m not making any choices yet just want to know that which certificaton is better to be pursued ? i like routing and switching, that i can also find in juniper (except switching) so its same for me to work either in cisco or juniper but wat u guys think wat is the market value of juniper now and in the years to come ?

You have to do some due-diligence. Check with technical recruiters in your area and find out what Certification has the the most demand.

A certification will get you the interview but it will not get you the job.

It is not misrepresenting!

Bear in mind that they did not start at 1. I think the first CCIE was 1025, that is 1,000 straight away.

Also not everyone keeps CCIE. It has to be recertifies and the 350-001 is tough now.

The first CCIE was 1024 which was selected as 10^2, Cisco's 10th Year Anniversary.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/certified_ccies/worldwide.html#as

Total of Worldwide CCIEs: 15062 (last updated 8.2.2007)

Total of Routing and Switching CCIEs: 13898

Total of Security CCIEs: 1046

Total of Service Provider CCIEs: 569

Total of Storage Networking CCIEs: 90

Total of Voice CCIEs: 543

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

One thing about the number of CCIE's Cisco won't tell you is that there may be 15000+ CCIE's worldwide, but this is only the number of CCIE #'s that have been given since it's inception. This is not the number of CCIE's currently certified with current CCIE status. That number is far fewer, as much as 50 to 60% less according to inside Cisco sources than the number reported from Cisco's CCIE website for the total number of CCIE's.

Brandon,

That number reflects the current CCIEs. If you lose the status, the number will decrease.

For instance, when I obtained my number (17943), the website display a little under 15,000 so you have a 2,500 to 2,700 difference. That's the number of CCIEs who have lost their cert for various reasons.

I think you may have a little innacuracy here.

We have a minor disagreement about the first number issued - 1024 or 1025 - but we are in agreement on the first being of that order.

Numbers being issued at the moment are in the region of 20,000 or so. From http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/certified_ccies/worldwide.html we get the current count to be a little over 15,000. There is this a dfference of 5,000 between the high number and the current issuing number. Remove 1,000 for the start point and we have a difference of around 4,000.

When I first looked at the figures by country it struck me as odd that Belgiium was so high, until I remembered where the TAC is in Europe...

Anyway, back to the discrepancy on start number. The tale I heard was that 1024 was indeed the start point, but the lab was CCIE 1024, and the first real person was 1025!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco