cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router Uptime

danny9797
Level 1
Level 1

I have a basic question here. Can a cisco be rebooted "softly" via the command prompt? If so, does the uptime reset? Does the uptimes change ONLY when the router is hard powered off and on?

9 Replies 9

abbas.wasim
Level 1
Level 1

no, it always show the most recent reloaded time in show version doesn't matter how you have restarted your cisco device.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Can a cisco be rebooted "softly" via the command prompt?"

See if there's a "reload" command on your router.

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

the soft reset ( via the reload command ) will reset the uptime on the router.

Thanks

Salman

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

When the router is hard rebooted the output of the show version shows "System returned to ROM by power-on", while if reloaded via the reload command the output shows "System returned to ROM by reload at 18:15:19 UTC Tue Sep 4 2007", and the uptime is reseted in both cases.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Muhammad, does it reset the logs as well?

I mean do you lose the previous show log output too after it has been restarted?

Hi Wasim,

Yes the logging buffered is lost (since it was stored on the RAM).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Is there anyway we can make it permanent or store into NVRAM somewhere?

Regards

Hi Wasim,

Not as far as i know. Your best solution is to use a syslog server.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

use "logging x.x.x.x" command, where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your syslog server.

"reload" erases not only logs, but everything that is stored in DRAM, like counters, statistics etc. You can save those by uploading "show tech" to the TFTP server.

Otherwise, try to localize reload to what you need to reset - routing session, process, interface, etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card