First CCIE R&S then CCIE SP or just CCIE SP : What is the correct order ?

Unanswered Question
Sep 4th, 2007

Hi,

Is the order good to get the CCIE RS and the move onto SP .. or just go to SP directly. Considering the syllabus there is a big overlap.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
cyphur353 Tue, 09/04/2007 - 08:40

If your end goal is the CCIE SP, then head in that direction. Studying some of the R&S track will probably help - but you don't need the full R&S.

Edison Ortiz Tue, 09/04/2007 - 12:05

If you don't deal with switching stuff on a daily basis, you will find the SP track more suitable for you.

There isn't any order on the tracks you can pursue withing CCIE.

I know some individuals with CCIE Storage w/o having their R&S. They are CCIEs regardless :)

swmorris Tue, 09/04/2007 - 18:29

There is overlap between the R&S and SP exam on the blueprint only... The focal areas are completely different.

R&S exam is the most "popular" and most seen. From that standpoint, it's a technology based exam that can test you out on your in-depth knowledge of each and every topic to the point where some questions seem truly bizarre and esoteric.

The SP exam on the other hand focuses on things truly with an SP (MPLS stuff) in mind. Out of the four CCIE's I've been through (five if you include voice, but haven't passed it yet) the SP exam was the most real-world-oriented in its delivery.

So even though it looks like there's overlap, the mindset is different.

So like one other person here says, if SP is your end goal, go for that first... It can't hurt to have two, but the amount of time you spend in L2/IGP stuff in the SP lab will seem rather lame after you've been through the R&S exam!

:)

Scott

[email protected]

etienne.basset Tue, 09/04/2007 - 23:15

hello

i agree with Scott, the overlap is on the blueprint only; R/S and SP will test you hard on differents topics(roughly switching/igp versus MPLS); passing R/S first will give you "basis" for SP, but as other said if SP is your end goal go for it first.

Etienne

kaustav.gupta Wed, 09/05/2007 - 02:13

Hi,

First let me say a "Thank You To All" for the valuable response. Just to add that I have been working on the enterprise level projects primarily on IGP/Lan switching. But my heart aches for MPLS/BGP thinking as I have worked so much on the IGP/Switching why not focus now on the SP domain. If I take the training courses from the vendors for SP will I be able to take on the SP CCIE or the RS will be easier to tackle as I have a lot of hands on in siwtching/IGP?

Sorry for all these foolish questions...

:)

Kas

swmorris Wed, 09/05/2007 - 05:18

By "vendors" if you mean CLPs and by "training courses" if you mean the curriculum that Cisco develops, then it will give you a background for things. There are a variety of MPLS and BGP and CCIP-related classes to help give a good foundation.

There are CLPs that offer CCIE Service Provider bootcamps as well, but these are not designed to carry things from the ground up, so it's recommended that you have a good basis in all the technologies before attending.

We cover the whole blueprint within 5 days, so if you don't have a good background, it's a REALLY LONG 5 days. :)

Most classes are beginning steps. The more you know, the more you realize is out there. CCIE bootcamps are designed to put finishing touches on things and help you bring all the pieces together just because the CCIE lab is a far step from the professional-level certifications and from the standard courses that Cisco has for many different technology areas.

HTH,

Scott

[email protected]

Actions

This Discussion