Was a taxi driver - now i'm a CCNA!!

Unanswered Question
Sep 4th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi there, looking for advice from anybody with an opinion. Used to be a taxi driver and had a change of heart. Through some intense study (Using Paul Browning stuff - networksinc.co.uk and cisco books as reference) and a training course i passed with a 961! The thing is i've started a Checkpoint CCSA and found it's not my thing. The practical is fine (it's just the same as applying an access list) - but the theory is too confusing with no IT background. What are the possibilities of me getting a job with just a CCNA? If the answer is 0 what is my next course of action? Maybe the dreaded MCSE? Just need some advice - thanx.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rayroyaleverest Tue, 09/04/2007 - 10:31
User Badges:

Some CompTIA certifications such as Network+ and A+ might be helpful. Many technology jobs are listed at www.monster.com and www.dice.com. Get some hands-on experience by implementing a small network at home. Send out those resumes. Contact a few employment agencies specializing in technology.

cyphur353 Tue, 09/04/2007 - 11:21
User Badges:

First full time network job I landed was as a network admin/team lead with just a CCNA and having passed the Multilayer Switching exam. The certification only gets you into an interview, your knowledge and confidence will get you the job.

rgodden Wed, 09/05/2007 - 00:58
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

field engineer.

You can drive and now you can use a screwdriver and your knowledge as well.

howtonetwork Wed, 09/05/2007 - 05:12
User Badges:

Hi,

Well done on passsing. Forget the next exam for now and make sure you get the most out of what you already have (the CCNA). I would avoid chasing more certs at the moment.

If you have been on my course or used my materials I do give free coaching on how to get your first IT job so please do call my office and leave me a message so we can arrange a time to chat.

I can help you get your foot in the door with resumee, interview advice etc

0800 083 6277

Paul Browning

Ibbywannit Thu, 09/06/2007 - 06:03
User Badges:

Just to let everyone know, i have no affiliations with Paul Browning, but if you want a straight-forward guide that won't confuse you and an absolute beginner (like me) can follow then www.networksinc.co.uk is the way to go. They have all the practicals in one book and all the theory in another, If i had followed just the cisco books i would have never got off the ground - if you don't have IT experience the cisco books are just too much!! They're good to have as quick reference books, but that's about it - and now i actually know what i'm talking about :) Cheers Paul and all the best (If you have any CCNP books then let me know!!)

Actions

This Discussion