Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 No User Names in User Tracking

mchiaravalle_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

UT seems to be reporting all other info correctly except for the user's names.

Had it working perfectly in LMS 2.6. but after a rocky upgrade from LMS 2.6 to 3.0, decided to install 3.0 from scratch and now just an occasional user name appears.

Thanks

vmpsadmin debugging is on. See attach.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Restart the UTLITE process on the server, and generate some UTLite events from the clients that are not showing up. Their usernames should now appear in UT. To restart UTLITE:

pdterm UTLITE

pdexec UTLITE

If this does not work, attach the new utlite.log and a new full UTLite console log.

Edit: oh, and if possible, capture a sniffer trace of UDP traffic from the client when it sends its UTLite packet. It may be corrupt in some way.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Enable UTLite debugging under Campus Manager > Administration > User Tracking > Administration > Debugging Options > Dynamic User Tracking, then pick one client whose username is not showing up in UT, verify UTLite is properly running on that client, and logout and log back in. That should generate two UTLite updates. Then post the resulting utlite.log.

After rebooting the client, the user's name did appear. Then approx 30 mins later the name disappears. The attached UTLite log is from right after the user name appears.

Sorry, you will need to step it up a notch from DEBUG to TRACE to get the messages I need.

Also, when the username disappeared, what changed? For example, did the user logout of this client again?

OK,

Well this new utlite log was saved just a few seconds after the user (me) logged out and then back in if that's what you mean by stepping it up a notch.

The default level for debugging is INFO. You've set it to DEBUG, but it needs to go up one more notch to TRACE in order for the right messages to come through.

Looks like I'm also going to need UTManager tracing enabled as well as well as the utm.log.

I understand now. Thanks

What is the MAC and IP of the end station you are testing? It looks like the UTLite information is making it into the database.

oo-03-47-BB-3E-E8 / 192.168.11.111

That is a laptop that I'm testing with, and in fact it does show up in User Tracking. At this time of the day I should be showing approx. 200 users, but only showing about 5.

I've had UTLite33.exe running on all the clients for over a year now with LMS2.6 and no real problems. The only thing we changed was LMS.

Thanks

CM 5.0 works very differently when it comes to UTLite data. In order to track down a problem, I'll need you to provide a MAC/IP for a client that is sending updates, but whose username is not showing up in UT.

00-16-E6-0E-23-C5 / 192.168.11.159

Okay, I do see that IP in the log. Do this, go to User Tracking > Administration > Debugging Options > Dynamic User Tracking Console, select UTLite, and generate a report for Invalid DataFormat. Download, then send me that report. Thanks.

Here it is but it's basically empty.

I was afraid of that. As you can no doubt tell, debugging dynamic UT is a pain. I'll be revamping some of the logging code, but in the meantime, go ahead and generate a log for all UTLite error classes, and attach that file.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: