cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2811 - follow-up question

hgrossman
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to put an ethernet card into the 2811 so that the cable can connect via cable modem and ethernet?

The ISP does not support constumer-supllied CPEs.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You've used all the built-in Ethernet ports?

You should be able to tell the Ethernet port connected to the cable modem to acquire its interface address from the modem using DHCP.

You might need to then NAT, if the modem only expects one device.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Harry

It should be quite easy to connect 2811 FastEthernet to cable modem. I have not done it specifically on the 2811 but I have configured many 1841s with FastEthernet connection to a cable modem and they work well.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I thought the 2 fixed FastEthernet ports were for the connection between the router and the LAN and it was through the interface cards (T-1, cable, etc.) that you connect the router to the Internet. Are you suggesting that FE port can be used to connect to the Internet, i.e. can it be programmed as such inside the router or are you suggesting that it is simple to get a FastEthernet interface card?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You've used all the built-in Ethernet ports?

You should be able to tell the Ethernet port connected to the cable modem to acquire its interface address from the modem using DHCP.

You might need to then NAT, if the modem only expects one device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card