cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

800 series router will not boot - stuck in ROMMON

tstewartradinc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. My router recently will not boot from the flash. I keep getting the rommon prompt. When it tries to boot I get:

Code:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(11r)YV6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C800/SOHO series (Board ID: 29-128) platform with 49152 Kbytes of main memory

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

rommon 1 >

if I do a "dir flash:"

I get

Code:

rommon 1 > dir flash:

File size Checksum File name

7533388 bytes (0x72f34c) 0xa403 c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-16.bin

meminfo reveals

14 Replies 14

tstewartradinc
Level 1
Level 1

Code:

ain memory size: 48 MB.

Available main memory starts at 0x1b000, size 49044KB

IO (packet) memory size: 5 percent of main memory.

NVRAM size: 128KB

when i try to write the same/different ios via tftp in rommon I get:

Code:

rommon 10 > tftpdnld

IP_ADDRESS: 10.1.1.10

IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 10.1.1.1

TFTP_SERVER: 10.1.1.190

TFTP_FILE: c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-16.bin

Invoke this command for disaster recovery only.

WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash will be lost!

Do you wish to continue? y/n: [n]: y

Receiving c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-16.bin from 10.1.1.190 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!

File reception completed.

TFTP flash copy: Invalid file header, copy terminated.

Reason: Wrong target platform OR corrupt file.

SET reveals:

Code:

rommon 11 > set

PS1=rommon ! >

RET_2_RUTC=0

ROM_PERSISTENT_UTC=1188273665

RET_2_RTS=23:01:07 NewYork Mon Aug 27 2007

BSI=0

RET_2_RCALTS=

RANDOM_NUM=67014162

CRASHINFO=flash:1:crashinfo_20070828-040115

IP_ADDRESS=10.1.1.10

IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

TFTP_SERVER=10.1.1.190

TFTP_FILE=c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-16.bin

DEFAULT_GATEWAY=10.1.1.1

?=57

I can upgrade the rommon just fine, and i have tried different versions of rommon with no difference.

I have used both SolarWidnows TFTP and tftp32.exe to flash, still no difference.

Any suggestions on something to try? Shouldn't I beable to load a new IOS via rommon? I have also tried xmodem (which took 3 hours) with the same results.

Thank you in advance.

jstickland
Level 1
Level 1

From rommon, do the following

set command for variables - ESPECIALLY

set TFTP_CHECKSUM=0

Also, make sure to fill in your ip, gw, mask, tftp server, tftp file with the set command

Now, issue tftpdnld

Hi , I am having the same problem with my 2801. it is stuck in ROM monitor mode. i tried to set config register but it was of no use . i used tftpdnld to get my IOS image ,as my last option but it didnt work for me . i suspect my wic2t but even after the removal of card things didnot change.stack and context commands show some thing like "no valid kernel contents "

setting the checksum did not help. All SET properties are right ebcause it downloads the ios, but then cancels once it starts to apply.

Most likely you are trying to use an image that is not valid for your hardware platform.

Verify the exact model of the router that you have and try to get an image for that.

regards,

Leo

it is an 831, and I am using an 831 image all from cisco.com I have tried many, many different revisions of the 831. The image was working on it fine last week, then one day it started rebooting itself and got stuck in rommon.

here is what the set and tftpdnld reveals:

rommon 11 > set

PS1=rommon ! >

RET_2_RUTC=0

ROM_PERSISTENT_UTC=1188273665

RET_2_RTS=23:01:07 NewYork Mon Aug 27 2007

BSI=0

RET_2_RCALTS=

RANDOM_NUM=67014162

CRASHINFO=flash:1:crashinfo_20070828-040115

?=0

IP_ADDRESS=10.1.1.10

IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

TFTP_SERVER=10.1.1.190

TFTP_CHECKSUM=0

TFTP_FILE=c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-16.bin

DEFAULT_GATEWAY=10.1.1.10

rommon 12 > tftpdnld

IP_ADDRESS: 10.1.1.10

IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 10.1.1.10

TFTP_SERVER: 10.1.1.190

TFTP_FILE: c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-16.bin

Invoke this command for disaster recovery only.

WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash will be lost!

Do you wish to continue? y/n: [n]: y

Receiving c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-16.bin from 10.1.1.190 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

File reception completed.

Like it states: Wrong target platform OR corrupt file

Based on experience, I think the cause here is a wrong platform.

Re-check the exact router model.

Good luck,

Leo

it is an 831, and I am using an 831 image all from cisco.com I have tried many, many different revisions of the 831. The image was working on it fine last week, then one day it started rebooting itself and got stuck in rommon.

Other options are not pleasant either:

-file corrupt (suppose you have ruled that out already)

-flash memory corrupt

If the image was working on your platform last week, a hardware problem is quite likely.

regards,

Leo

if I do a dir flash: even with the chip out, it still reveals:

rommon 21 > dir flash:

File size Checksum File name

7533388 bytes (0x72f34c) 0xa403 c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-16.bin

does this make sense?

As far as I know the 800 series have on-board flash. There might be an expansion slot but the first partion is on the main board.

Therefore, this makes sense.

Leo

these things do not work for me . i get the same rommon prompt and i donot get the last message , what i get to see is that all things are fine may the card in --- slot is not a genuine cisco product , when it is a genuine product and i even tried after removing the card but nothing new happened..when i type context it says invalid kernel context..

jasonmadruga84
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I had this same problem on my 871 after ditching the 8 MB StrataFlash with a 32 MB stick that I got for $30 on eBay.

I kept getting that same error:

Connected to the router on FE0 and in ROMMON used these settings:

rommon 4 > IP_ADDRESS=10.10.10.100
rommon 5 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
rommon 6 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=10.10.10.10
rommon 7 > TFTP_SERVER=10.10.10.10
rommon 8 > TFTP_FILE=c870-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M10.bin
rommon 9 > tftpdnld

(adjust your settings accordingly)

I used the SolarWinds TFTP Server (http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/free_tftp_server.aspx) and I was able to TFTP the new image to the new 52 MB contiguous flash (32 + 20).

I had to do reset and try a couple of times with the above settings but it finally worked! :)

I can put the 871 back the way I had it with c870-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M10.bin which is 25 MB and install SDM or whatever I want now!!!

-Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco