Views
Helpful
Replies

2511 ROM question

cventicinque
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I read that I might need to upgrade my ROM in order for my router to support 16 Megs of flash. My router currently has 8 flash/16 dram. I am looking for an IOS image that will support the technologies I will encounter on the BSCI test. At the very least I would like to do eigrp, ospf and bgp with IP4. Can anyone suggest an IOS image that will support those features with my current HW? If not, can you tell me how to verify what version of rom I have on my router and if that rom needs to be upgraded for me to buy more flash?

Thank you very much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't doubled checked this, but the older IP only images often supported the major routing protocols. IP only images for a 2500 that will run with 8 MB flash/RAM are:

c2500-i-l.120-28d.bin 6 8 25-AUG-2005

c2500-i-l.121-27b.bin 8 8 24-AUG-2005

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

cventicinque
Level 1
Level 1

Still looking for some help here if anyone would be so kind...

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't doubled checked this, but the older IP only images often supported the major routing protocols. IP only images for a 2500 that will run with 8 MB flash/RAM are:

c2500-i-l.120-28d.bin 6 8 25-AUG-2005

c2500-i-l.121-27b.bin 8 8 24-AUG-2005

Thank You Very Much.

I noticed that when I was looking for images, some say access server and some say IP or IP Plus. With my setup, I wish to use the 2511 as both an access server and a router that participates in my labs, is that possible. Will one image allow routing only while another image allows access server functionality only?

Thanks again!

"Will one image allow routing only while another image allows access server functionality only? "

Looks that way, at least for the access version.

The 12.3 plus version adds features, such as DLSw+, IPv6, FRF.12, etc., and gives up very little such as WCCP.

The remote access feature set, if I remember correctly, was designed to support dial-up, async and ISDN. It gives up many features including routing features like BGP and OSPF but provides features like AppleTalk, IPX and Multichassis MultiLink PPP (MMP).

Ok, I was confusing access server with reverse telnet. I upgraded to one of the images you recommended and all is good. I will take a crack at 12.3 when I get my flash upgrade.

Thanks for all of your help! :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card