cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stub networks

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

In my network i have some routers which are connected only to one main router(serial leased line connection) and a switch. If i use default-routing is that enought or i must use a routing protocols (etc rip, eigrp) and etc. What's the best think i should do .

Thanks

moses

4 Replies 4

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Friend,

If it is a Stub network, then i would prefer using something like EIGRP stub feature.

Though static would do the work but you would end up having routes from the hub everytime you create a VLAN on the spoke.

HTH

Narayan

Hi,

Totally agree with Narayan, and i'll say that it depends on the number of stub routers.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Moses has posted this same question on the WAN Routing and Switching forum where I have posted a response. In my response I took a different approach than Narayan and Mohammed. I believe that static routes are entirely adequate for an environment where there is a main router and some number of remote routers. And where the remote routers have only a single connection and it is to the main router. Dynamic routing protocols like EIGRP are effective when there are choices to make about network paths. Dynamic routing protocols can choose the best path and can react when a path fails and if there is an alternate path the routing protocol can send traffic over the alternate path.

But if there is only a single path available then the overhead of running a routing protocol must be compared to the convenience of not having to manually enter a static route for remote subnets.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Totally agree with you, my only concern was if the number of the stub routers is very high, then why should he enter a static route per each router, running RIP for example would have the minimum administrative overhead, anyway as you said its his call to choose whatever is convenient for him.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card