Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS network

Ilir Mitrushi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As my practical knowledge of MPLS is very limited I would like to ask a question regarding MPLS network design and Cisco appliances. First let me explain the requirements. A prospective client wants to build a MPLS network in order to connect 10-12 sites. The network will use fiber optics to connect the sites. They have decided that they want MPLS, although usually MPLS is not used in such small designs. As traffic volume and bandwidth demand are not an issue because the requirements are somehow modest what would be the minimum specifications for building such a network using Cicso appliances? Can it be build using 3750 ME or 4500 switches or do you need to use routers and if so which model ?

Thank you very much for your help

Many regards,

Ilir

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Friend,

Can you clarify whether you actually want to build a MPLS network or use your devices to connect to a MPLS service?

The 4500 can be used as MVRF-CE's. To build a MPLS network you should atleast have an ISR router like the 38xx but the preferred are 72xx and 76xx

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

Thank you for your reply. The client has specified that they want to build a MPLS network. In this phase this network is not going to connect to another MPLS network. It will be used for data and voice inside this organisation and also it will connect to the Internet to provide Internet access to its users. You mentioned that ISRs 38xx can be used. I suppose that 3750 MEs can also be used as CPEs and the ISRs could form a collapsed core/distribution or P/PE topology. Are you aware of any documentation which can help me put together such a design?

Ilir

Hi,

If you can provide some raw topology kind of diagram then it will be really very help full to us to provide you proper solution...

regards

Devang

Hi Devang,

I am attaching a simple network topology. I know there is no rationale to justify a MPLS enabled network at this phase and taking into consideration their network, but the client is asking for it. My focus is on finding the simplest and least demanding on hardware design. Regarding the diagram the idea is that three of the nodes form some sort of core network hence will need some better specs. I don't think I am providing detailed info here but this is all the info I have, I appologise.

Thank you

Ilir

Hi Narayan,

Thank you for your reply. The client has specified that they want to build a MPLS network. In this phase this network is not going to connect to another MPLS network. It will be used for data and voice inside this organisation and also it will connect to the Internet to provide Internet access to its users. You mentioned that ISRs 38xx can be used. I suppose that 3750 MEs can also be used as CPEs and the ISRs could form a collapsed core/distribution or P/PE topology. Are you aware of any documentation which can help me put together such a design?

Ilir

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card