Views
Helpful
Replies

CCME 2801 real Analog line

cco_heerema
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having problems with a CCME4.0 installation on a 2801.

I am in need of a true analog line for a modem connection (a postal stamp machine which needs to connect via a modem).

I know that the ATA186 don't support modem connections (i tried it but realy doesn't work)

So what are my options now.

I do not have any analog lines in the office only 3 BRI's with one groupnumber.

Is it possible to use a FXS or FXO card in the 2801 to create a usable anolog line for a modem?

Any sollution would be welcome !

12 Replies 12

anderson-david
Level 3
Level 3

Hi for a modem connection you will need to use an FXS port, a module you could use is a VIC2-2FXS which gives 2 FXS ports. Also you will need to make sure you have enough DSP resources.

I hope this helps

Does help :-)

So this will allow me to have a ISDN to analog line conversion ?

Are there any configuration examples, I can't find them.

thanks !

So you are terminating the BRI on router itself?U need to use dial peer configs for fax while using FXS card.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008053b50a.html

Thomas,

Yes I have 3 Vic2-BRI2 installed in the 2801.

These connect to 6 ISDN2 Lines with a group number.

But I am not talking about a fax, I need to connect a Modem.

From what I have read this absolutely differs !

FXS port is meant for analog devices u can connect Analog phone,faxand modem also.If u can tell me the exact requirement may be can give you the configs also

Requirement is :

I need 1 analog line which I can use to connect the Postal Stamp machine to so it can connect via it's internal analog modem to a central server from the postal server.

No need for incomming calls.

And I connect to the Public Telephone system via 3 BRI's (ISDN 2)

I have a Cisco 2801 with IOS 12.4-9T

CCME 4.0

And all other phones are VOIP phones (7941 and 7961's)

I do have a Fax machine but this uses an ATA186.

Just install VIC-xFXS/DID where x is 2 or 4 to your router.

In theory, you should be able to connect at any modem speed as this in an hairpinned application, not VoIP.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Ok thank you guys !

I will give it a go !

It's a shame those stupid ATA186 don't support modems as I have seen working sollutions with other ATA's

What the ATA doesn't support, is modem relay. You should find that if you configure per documents like for a fax, modem at moderate speeds like 9600 bps should work.

pacameron
Level 4
Level 4

You can use a FXS port on the same chassis and point a POTS dial peer towards it, and have a outgoing POTS dial peer pointing to the BRI ports.

The DSP should be dropped from the connection between the ports if the companding is the same, so you will need to put compand-type a-law on the BRI and the FXS port as well.

This should do a direct TDM connection between the FXS port codec and the BRI B channel and the modem <> work unimpeded.

mmm that's 2 "shoulds" and I hate spending money on a Vic2-FXS if i'm not shure this will work.

Maybe anyone with a sort of same problem / sollution ?

Why are not sure it will work? You have two people here telling you that it will, and in fact it is the reccomended solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: