Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter VLAN multicast ip routing with cisco 3560G with IP Services Image

guvencguvenc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am trying to get inter vlan multicast ip routing on cisco 3560G with IP Services Image working but I don't seem to be that successful at it.

If I configure one VLAN and enable IGMP-Snooping and IGMP Querier then the 3560G seems to populate its internal multicast traffic tables correctly and route the multicast traffic between the switch ports and within the vlan correctly.

But how is it possible to do the same thing between the vlans and not the switch ports ? In other words, IGMP Snooping and IGMP Querier are enabled and I want the 3560G route the multicast traffic from one vlan to the other one.

My environment has only one switch(3560G) and all the tutorials in Internet regarding this issue talk about a router. Is it possible at all to implement the above described scenario just with one 3560G switch with IP Services Image ?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Guvenc

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Possibly you need the 3560G configured as router running a multicast routing protocol such as PIM. This also might require the Advanced(?) feature image.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Guvenc

As Joseph has suggested you need to enable a multicast routing protocol. in your case either pim dense mode or pim sparse mode would do the trick. As it is purely on the 3560G try dense mode first but be aware dense mode does use more resources.

If you have IP Services you can run Pim. See attached config guide for multicast details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080774340.html

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: