cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bgp conditional multihoming

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, if i m connecting 2 routers A and B with an ISP and i want to make sure that A is the primary EBGP neighbour with ISP and B starts peering only when A is down, how can i do it ??? can u tell me wat configuration is required ??

thanks

2 Replies 2

robert.ward
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure why you would want to do that as its better to have both routers active.

The easiest option with BGP is to setup your two routers running HSRP and each with the same upstream BGP session with the ISP. The ISP has one session back to your HSRP address and the primary HSRP router will only establish an active session until it goes down and the standby kicks in.

Many ISP customers have done this before but I dont like it as BGP take time to establish and accept prefixs so it suffers an outage for several minutes.

This also assumes an ethernet connection.

My advice would be have both sessions up and iBGP between them and local preference on the one you want as primary.

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Dont ISP B have a community for this? I'm peering with my ISP B and he is not advertising my prefix if he receive it from my primary ISP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: