cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleting a virtual interface

peter.mark
Level 1
Level 1

There is a debate among our engineers on the proper command to delete a virtual interface on an MSFC. Which command is correct and why?

delete interface vlanxxx

or

no interface vlanxxx

There's a dinner riding on this one!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

delete interface ??

Never heard of it. DELETE command is an EXEC command used for file system operation (e.g. delete a certain file) but certainly not deleting interfaces.

I checked all of our 3560,3750,c6506-native, and c6506-hybrid with MSFC. All results are negative. Like this:

msfc_hra_old(config)#del?

% Unrecognized command

c6506_hra_1(config)#del?

% Unrecognized command

And so on.

That's what I expected btw, because again, I have never heard of the command.

There is a command that is called "DEFAULT" maybe that's the one you are thinking of. This command returns an interface to a default state.

NO INTERFACE command deletes a virtual interface.

When reenabling virtual interface (not SVI) some configuration may reappear. Therefore the cleanest way to delete a virtual interface is:

default interface fa0/0.1

no interface fa0/0.1

SVI could be deleted using "no" command without the need to use "default" command.

As to your question. IF the command does exist on some special version of IOS, it surely doesn't exist anywhere else. Therefore using a special command, that is not documented is not a good idea in an routine environment.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The latter

no interface vlanxxx

Rack1SW2#show ip int bri | ex una

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Vlan28 183.1.28.8 YES manual up up

Rack1SW2(config)#no interface vlan 28

Rack1SW2(config)#do show ip int bri | ex una

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Is there a reason why the delete interface command should not be used?

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

delete interface ??

Never heard of it. DELETE command is an EXEC command used for file system operation (e.g. delete a certain file) but certainly not deleting interfaces.

I checked all of our 3560,3750,c6506-native, and c6506-hybrid with MSFC. All results are negative. Like this:

msfc_hra_old(config)#del?

% Unrecognized command

c6506_hra_1(config)#del?

% Unrecognized command

And so on.

That's what I expected btw, because again, I have never heard of the command.

There is a command that is called "DEFAULT" maybe that's the one you are thinking of. This command returns an interface to a default state.

NO INTERFACE command deletes a virtual interface.

When reenabling virtual interface (not SVI) some configuration may reappear. Therefore the cleanest way to delete a virtual interface is:

default interface fa0/0.1

no interface fa0/0.1

SVI could be deleted using "no" command without the need to use "default" command.

As to your question. IF the command does exist on some special version of IOS, it surely doesn't exist anywhere else. Therefore using a special command, that is not documented is not a good idea in an routine environment.

Your correct. I meant to say default.

Thank you for clearing this up.

So... have you won a dinner? :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card