Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Card Config

kelloggs4life
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have this 2811 router with a c2800nm-ipvoicek9-m IOS. I have a 2 FXS voice card installed on the router. This is to enable VoIP on the network that the router is to be installed.

The thing however is that we I cannot see the voice port configuration, i.e.

!

voice-port 0/0/0

!

voice-port 0/0/1

!

I only noticed this after i configured the dial-peers, the configuration was returning errors whenever I tried configuring the voice ports.

Can anyone help please?

Regards,

Femi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You have to check on the actual invoice or packaging label. If it shows an official product code that is a voice bundle, then yes, a 2811 is supposed to come with a PVDM2-16 already installed.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You also need DSP modules in the router. These are called PVDM2-x where x is 8, 16, 32 or 64 to support an equivalent number of voice channels.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi,

Thanks for your contribution.

I am not sure i need such, though i am not sure i understand what a dsp module is.

The reason I say this is because I only had to install the voice card in previous routers that have been configured for similar branch offices.

I think it may have to do with some sort of configuration which I cant quite place a finger on right now.

Hi,

do "show diag" on any of your routers. If you see the PVDM2 module, you will be able to configure and use voice ports of any nature, else you will be not and need to procure one and install inside the router.

As an appreciation to those providing answers, please rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

Hi once again,

I ran the check on router and the module is actually absent. I have contacted the supplier who is telling me I have to buy this module as an add on. Would you know if this module is supposed to come bundled with a voice package or not?

Regards

Femi

You have to check on the actual invoice or packaging label. If it shows an official product code that is a voice bundle, then yes, a 2811 is supposed to come with a PVDM2-16 already installed.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck in sorting this out with your supplier!

Hi "P",

Just have a question dude.

I'll be configuring a 1760 router to have an incoming (voice) only from PSTN's E1 ISDN PRI getting into my 6units of 7912 IP phones.

But in relation to that "show diag", this is what I saw......

Packet Voice DSP Module Slot 0:

Not populated

Packet Voice DSP Module Slot 1:

Not populated

Does this mean I have to purchase a PVDM also in order to have the capability of accepting calls?

Your input will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Brian

Yes, you do. For 1760 the pvdm are called:

PVDM-256K-x where is can be 4, 8, 12, 16HD, or 20HD, that basically represents the number of voice channels you can support.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/prod_configuration_guide09186a0080106d1c.html

Also note that in most cases the 1760 needs maximum RAM and flash upgrade to support newer voice images.

Hope this helps,please rate post if it does!

Hi "P"

Thanks for the reply.

But my main problem is I cannot set the tdm clock to export both to line, because I DO NOT have the VOICE option, I can only see data.

With the link give, it's more of BRI (analog) and we'll be using E1 PRI as the source.

Should I still need to buy a DSP module? Or I just missed some commands to enable the VOICE or both option in the "tdm clock" command.

Thanks P. I really do appreciate your reply.

Regards,

Brian

Hi P.

I've got the PVDM and now I can configure voice in my tdm clock in the router being connected to E1 ISDN PRI line (incoming voice only to my voip phones) Thanks for the advice about the PVDM.

But still got a problem sir.

My VWIC2-1MFT-E1/TI card has CD light on but it still has alarm and the router's E1 is not changing to up state. But if we try to do a loop in Service provider side, I have a complete transmit and receive. Physical layer of Service provider is ok during loopback test on both ends, but seems like Im not receiving any signal from them. They told me that everything was set-up on their side.

I've initiated already "no shut" in controller, voice-port, and serial interface and ISDN-Line changes to up. But if I do sh controller, isdn still got a problem.

I've attached my config, and show commands.

Appreciate if you can check if I've done something wrong.

Thanks P'.

Hi,

they are sending AIS on the circuit - means their circuit end is not properly connected to the switch. This can happen eg as they didn't revert after loopback test.

Have them again check on that - the circuit is probably fine.

Good luck!

By the way Mr.P.Bevilacqua, in relation to what I've sent you awhile ago. (see my message below)

I have VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1....but I just notice that putting the command "tdm clock e1 0/0", the result is just "data" and I require voice in order import both from the line.

The required setup is to accept voice calls only and no outbound from my IP Phones.

Any additional inputs please?

Cheers

Brian

Replied by: Bri@nMonteverde - Sep 13, 2007, 4:47pm PST

Hi "P",

Just have a question dude.

I'll be configuring a 1760 router to have an incoming (voice) only from PSTN's E1 ISDN PRI getting into my 6units of 7912 IP phones.

But in relation to that "show diag", this is what I saw......

Packet Voice DSP Module Slot 0:

Not populated

Packet Voice DSP Module Slot 1:

Not populated

Does this mean I have to purchase a PVDM also in order to have the capability of accepting calls?

Your input will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco