Views
Helpful
Replies

Router suggestion...

dbaRouter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I search for a router that provide 10/100 Ethernet WAN connectivity and 100/1000 Ethernet LAN connectivity.

Can you suggest me a suitable Cisco router?

Thanks

PS. I do not know if this is the proper section to ask my question?

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The simplest router with gigabit interfaces would be the 2821.

This model has two 10/100/1000 interfaces.

Performance should be more than sufficient.

regards,

Leo

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"10/100 Ethernet WAN"?

When selecting a router, besides interfaces, you might also want to consider features and actual performance capability.

If you expect to really push and sustain 100 Mbps, you'll need to consider one of the larger traditional WAN routers, such as the 7200 series or, and since you're using Ethernet interfaces, a LAN router such as 3560.

If you don't need to sustain 100 Mbps, but just want to use high speed LAN interface connections, one of the smaller WAN routers is fine.

PS:

A listing of many Cisco WAN routers performance that's been referenced within these forums, http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

The 3560/3750, as LAN routers, are rated at about 30,000 Mbps.

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

It depends on how many users are going to connect to WAN, and how loaded WAN interface would be. If you have only 10-15 users, even 800 series router would be enough. Provided that you will use 10/100 for WAN, but in reality will have slower WAN speed (e.g. 6 Mbps)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card