Replies

Saving Running Configuration on Cisco Switch

rossua994
Level 1
Level 1

On a Cisco switch is the command :-

copy running-config startup-config

available, as on a router ?

I recall reading that on changing the running config on a 2950 or 1900 Catalyst switch, it is written immediately to NVRAM, so the above command is NOT available on these switches. Is this correct ?

The following commands appear to be the only ones available :-

copy tftp://host/src_file nvram

copy nvram tftp://host/dest_file

(1900 switch)

and

copy startup-config tftp://host/dst_file

(2950 switch).

Is this correct ?

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The 1900 series do not run IOS so you will not have the copy run start there. Most convenient solution is to use the onboard menu, I am not certain wheter you need to save the config setings on it or not.

The 2950 does have the command you specify when you are running a new IOS (12.2xx). Some older switches using versions like 12.0(5)WCxx may not yet have it but you can upgrade them.

For myself I rather use the plain old "wr". It does the same and it's much shorter.

regards,

Leo

fred.mancen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends, Leo is right. The 1900 Catalyst does not have a command to save the new settings because the switch writes to the NVRAM any changes done on the config automatically, even when using CLI or menu. The 2950 series does have a command to save the config, as any other device running IOS.

Regards.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Any IOS switch except the 1900 just use the simple command "write mem" , I always found this easier to type than copy runn start .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card