Helpful
Replies

3550 for Router?

markraves
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Many questions tonight.

I'm currently holding a faulty 7206vxr router. And I have a 3550-24 and a 355-12G, both with enhanced multilayer image. I'm thinking about replacing the 7206 with the 3550, and thereby I seek answers and advice. Customers. There are about 60 or so (let's say maximum 100) customers now on DSL and fibre. There are no routing protocols in use, I run a static route to my service provider, and my network is really small, so I've just set up static routes for everything.

throughput. None to speak of. I can imagine up to 30Mbit if I get 100 users, and they all use it;=).

Would it be a good idea to implement the 3550 based on the data I've provided? Or should one go for a thoroughbred Router?

I currently use no form for traffic shaping, since the router is somehow not routing anything more than 2-5Mbit, and It's only recently I've been adding fibre customers. Does the 3550EMI support traffic shaping both ways?

I'm a bit green at this, sorry.

Thanks,

Markraves.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Markraves :

Actually , 3550 is a full blown router . Yes it does have some limitations when it comes to QoS ( wont do shaping ) , but other then that , it can run all routing protocols ( routing is disabled by default on a 3550 , so make sure to enable it by using a command " ip routing" in the global config mode ) . I would suggest to use 3550-12G instead of 3550-24 since 3550-12G has what is called as aggrgator SDM templates and bigger TCAMs for holding large number of routes and ACLs.

For all practical puposes , you should be okay with using 3550 for this type of environment.

Hope this helps.

thanks

Salman.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Markraves :

Actually , 3550 is a full blown router . Yes it does have some limitations when it comes to QoS ( wont do shaping ) , but other then that , it can run all routing protocols ( routing is disabled by default on a 3550 , so make sure to enable it by using a command " ip routing" in the global config mode ) . I would suggest to use 3550-12G instead of 3550-24 since 3550-12G has what is called as aggrgator SDM templates and bigger TCAMs for holding large number of routes and ACLs.

For all practical puposes , you should be okay with using 3550 for this type of environment.

Hope this helps.

thanks

Salman.

Hi,

Nice nice, and nice.

So that very much answers my question.

Qos is no concern, since I do not offer neither iptel nor iptv. But since I do have a few fibre customers, it would be very nice to be able to use rate-limiting? Wouldn't want them to claim every bit of bandwidth.

Tanks again,

Markraves

You can do policing . One bit of caveat with policing on 3550 is you can only match / classify the traffic based on dscp ( upto 8 dscp values ) which should cover pretty much all traffic on the egress .

Thanks

Salman.

Sorry forgot to mention that the caveat applies only for outbound policers. For ingress policers , you can match based on dscp and ACLs. For egress , you can classify traffic based only on dscp and cant use ACL.

Hope this clarifies what I posted earlier.

Thanks

Salman.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco