CCIE (R&S) or CCIE (Voice)

Unanswered Question
Sep 6th, 2007

For one and all:

I appeal to you wise ones for guidance into the realm of CCIE. I am on the threshold of pursuing my CCIE. I have bludgeoned my way through CCNP and am half way through my CCVP. I have no experience with the ways of Cisco. But, I have 8 years of hands on as a Microsoft Exchange Analyst and MSSQL DBA and a year with IVR programming.

I have the opportunity to attend a 5 month CCIE (R&S) course or a 4 month CCIE(Voice) course. I am in a dilemma to choose. I have enjoyed CCNP and CCVP. But the market seems to be slighty more favourable for the Voice compatriots. And could I be able to use my Exchange and AD skills in the Voice field, for example in the world of Cisco Unity which uses Exchange, AD and SQL? I have heard the R&S camp say that R&S would be the core knowledge to be acquired first before plunging into Voice. But, I feel CCNP should suffice. Hence, the dilemma.

Any words of wisdom, suggestions, tips or remarks will be considered as a gem.

Cheers

Lonenomad

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Chris Deren Sat, 09/08/2007 - 14:03

In my opinion coming from MS side you will be well suited for IPT techologies since they are highly dependant on Microsoft and/or Server infastructure. For example Unity is highly dependant on both AD and Exchange (or Domino :-)), IPCC Enterprise (not on the exam) is highly dependant on AD as well, Callmanager 4.X and prior as well as a lot of other applicaitons run on windows platforms. Obviosly there is a lot more to IPT and CCIE-V exam, but in comparison to CCIE R&S your previous life may become useful.

I would advise you to look deep into what you enjoy doing and where you see yourself succeed, and start there, you can always obtain both certification if time and money permits.

HTH,

Chris

lonenomad Sun, 09/09/2007 - 10:11

Thanks Chris for the insightful answer. I have enjoyed R&S but again my strength lies with MS experience. I see myself making a niche in the Unity area. Whether I will like it as much as R&S, I will soon find out. But, like you said, I will do my R&S sometime down the road.

Thanks the help

Shaun

Actions

This Discussion