cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

keeping vlans active on 3550 without any connections directly to them

michael.lussier
Level 1
Level 1

How can I keep the multiple vlans in an up up state reguardless. loopbacks dont work on the 3550 ? I'm terminating a trunk to the pix. the pix wont take the trunk so I'm breaking out the vlans and then sending thier traffic to the pix via layer 3 to the pix. I've done this before.

5 Replies 5

jorgenolla
Level 1
Level 1

May I ask, why are you sending a trunk to the pix?

different wireless vlans

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why do they have to stay up if no one is using them at a particular time ??? Must be something with your pix too I know you can trunk to at least some of them , we have done it . think you use subinterfaces to accomplish it on the pix.

Michael

As far as I know the two ways to have VLANs in an up state are to have at least one connected port in the VLAN or to have a trunk carrying the VLAN.

I am also a bit puzzled about difficulty in establishing a trunk to the PIX. I wonder if it is a version dependency. I do not remember in which version of PIX code the support for trunking was added. But if you really need to keep the VLANs up then you may need to look at updating code on your PIX.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jorgenolla
Level 1
Level 1

You can create an SVI for the vlan's that you want to stay up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card