Doubt about VT Advantage QOS

Unanswered Question
Sep 7th, 2007

When I have PC with PC Advantage connected to PHONE IP , in Cisco device , like sample 3750 .

The Video traffic when the call is going , wil be trusted for the Switch ???

Best Regards

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
bwilmoth Thu, 09/13/2007 - 08:09

The Cisco VT Advantage application residing on the user?s PC supports the classification of video packets using DSCP and, therefore, only at Layer 3. The current best practices for Cisco IP Telephony design recommend that the upstream Ethernet switch to which the phone is attached should be configured to trust the 802.1p CoS from the phone. Because the PC packets are unlikely to have an 802.1Q tag, they are unable to support 802.1p CoS bits. This lack of 802.1p support from the PC leaves the following possible options for providing QoS for Cisco VT Advantage:

Option 1

If your current QoS model extends trust to the IP Phone, then the voice and signaling packets will be correctly marked as they ingress the network. With an additional ACL on the port to match UDP port 5445, the video media channel will also be classified to PHB AF41. Without this ACL, the video media would be classified Best Effort and would incur poor image quality and lip-sync issues. The same ACL could also be used to match the CAST connection between the VT Advantage PC and the IP Phone,

which uses TCP port 4224 (classifying it as CS3), although the benefit of doing so is minimal. The signaling packets from the PC, which is on the data VLAN, are returned over the same high-speed port onto the voice VLAN, therefore they are highly unlikely to encounter any congestion.

Option 2

The Enterprise QoS Solution Reference Network Design Guide, Version 3.1 (available at presents another method. This alternative method recommends changing the port to trust the DSCP of incoming traffic instead of trusting CoS, and then running the incoming packets through a series of Per-Port/Per-VLAN Access Control Lists that match packets based on their TCP/UDP ports (along with other criteria) and police them to appropriate levels. For instance, VT

Advantage will mark its video packets with DSCP AF41, with the switch port set to trust DSCP. The packet will run through an ACL that matches it based on the fact that it is using UDP port 5445, is marked with DSCP AF41, and is coming in on the data VLAN. This ACL will then be used in a class map or policy map to trust the DSCP and police the traffic to N kbps (where N is the amount of video bandwidth you want to allow per port). Similar ACLs and policers will be present for the voice and signaling packets from the IP Phone in the voice VLAN.

VTA uses UDP 5445 for all video traffic, TCP 4224 between IP phone and VTA.

rodrigo.hernandez Thu, 09/13/2007 - 10:19

OK ,Thank you . that is more clear for me . But , I have another doubt :

If I use the next configuration , will function?

mls qos trust device cisco-phone

mls qos trust dscp

I trust the Cisco Phone , and trust the traffic from PC with VT Advantage . The condition will be configure the application VT Advantage to set the Video Traffic to cs3 , for instance .

This is rigth or not ??

Best Regards

This Discussion