Views
Helpful
Replies

What IOS do I need for SSH and VPN

grendelos
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am not a Cisco expert but can muddle my way thru configurations. I have inherited my position from someone else who setup our VPN infrastructure long ago. Problem is that we have added a new location and I have been asked to add it to our VPN. I found a spare 2610 in the equipment closet with IOS Version 12.2(24) which is a higher version than some of the other working VPN routers in the field. I am basically using the other VPN router configs as a template but when I issue the command "crypto", it does not recognize it. Nor does it recognize the command "ip ssh". So the questions are, do I have to get an updated IOS? If this IOS is ok, do I need an add-on VPN pack? If yes to either one, how do I get it? - Thanks.

Don

7 Replies 7

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

every IOS with IPSec support have in it's name something like "k9"

for example

c7200-jk9s-mz.124-13.bin

c2691-advipservicesk9-mz.124-16.bin

c2600-jk9o3s-mz.122-15.T16.bin

So if I do a "show ver" on the router I am having trouble with, I see:

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IO3-M), Version 12.2(24), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

On one of the working VPN routers I see:

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IK9O3S3-M), Version 12.2(15)T14, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

So I see the K9 in the IOS version of the working router. Thanks for that part of the puzzle.

Now my question is, how do I get that IOS?

Don

Quickest way would be to copy the IOS image from the one router to the other, i.e using TFTP.

Alan

Thanks for that. Can you do this even if the router models are different?

Don

the model has to be the same in most cases.

That IOS is stored in the router flash memory.

Maybe this example will help

copy flash:filename.bin ftp://username:passwd@192.168.1.1/ios-images

then try this:

copy ftp://username:passwd@192.168.1.1/ios-images/filename.bin flash:

note: you may need to format flash: first if there is not enough room.

This is something I will need to do also, so going to shoot the question here instead of making a new topic:

After you do a "format flash:", the device will stay functional still to allow you to copy the new flash?

Also, why format instead of delete?

Will the "upgrade" command need to be used? mine does not seem to accept "upgrade" even though it comes up on "show ?".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: