self study

Unanswered Question
Sep 7th, 2007

I'd like to study ccna by myself since training is too expensive to me. Does anybody has this experience? which book should I use? I am new to this exam. Do I only need take one exam to get the certificate?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
glengregory Fri, 09/07/2007 - 20:06

For CCNA 640-801 (last day to test 6 nov), if you really want to get a firm grip of the CCNA contents, I recommend 2 study guides:-

1] Cisco Press (INTRO + ICND) by Wendell Odom

2] Sybex Press CCNA study guide by Todd Lammle

Each book does not cover certain topics completely. For e.g. Sybex does not show you NAT & does not give you a good explanation on VLANs, STP, etc. The Cisco book gives full NAT config, covers switching very well, but skimps on EIGRP & OSPF, which is very important. So if you use both, you benefit!

Note:- Before reading the books, please make sure you check the errata & any updates. There are a lot of errors.

Practicing on real cisco gear is very important (I'm a hands-on guy). But if for some reason you can't, then there are Emulators, simulators, etc. Try these:-

1] Cisco 7200 Simulator

2] Dynagen

3] Boson NetSim for CCNA 6.0

For practice exams, I have heard that Transcenders are very good, but expensive. Here are some others that I have compiled while studying for CCNA:-

And finally, practice, practice & practice!

For the new CCNA 640-802 exam, please check the publisher's website (Cisco press & Sybex) for book release dates.

Hope this helps...

This Discussion