Cisco-Syslog-MIB

Answered Question
Sep 8th, 2007

If the CISCO-SYSLOG-MIB is loaded and compiled, can ALL log message be Interpreted by the trap receiver?

I'm afraid some functionality or messages may be lost by taking the SNMP CISCO-SYSLOG-MIB route as opposed to the syslog server route...

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 9 years 2 months ago

All clogMessageGenerated notifications from devices should be properly decoded by the management station. The entire message is encapsulated. Whether or not processing messages using the syslog-to-trap encapsulation is more useful that the syslog itself depends on your management station. I happen to think RME (4.x in any event) does a good job with processing syslog messages and turning them into external actions.

Since the trap breaks out facility and severity into separate varbinds, the trap manager also has a good chance of doing useful thinks with the syslog notifications, but this may require more scripting work on your end.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Sat, 09/08/2007 - 16:16

All clogMessageGenerated notifications from devices should be properly decoded by the management station. The entire message is encapsulated. Whether or not processing messages using the syslog-to-trap encapsulation is more useful that the syslog itself depends on your management station. I happen to think RME (4.x in any event) does a good job with processing syslog messages and turning them into external actions.

Since the trap breaks out facility and severity into separate varbinds, the trap manager also has a good chance of doing useful thinks with the syslog notifications, but this may require more scripting work on your end.

Actions

This Discussion