Views
Helpful
Replies

Why VPLS and not L3 VPNs ???

emaamur2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Please bare with me, i know a lot has been written about what VPLS is, I have read the postings, but maybe someone can in simple terms answer my qn for me;

Why should one go for VPLS and not L3 VPNs or L3 VPNs and not VPLS, i need arguments from both the enterprise point and the ISP point

Hope you get my Question

Regards

MM

3 Replies 3

lars.molstad
Level 1
Level 1

Well..

VPLS:

+No need to involve the ISP for routing issues

+Support non-IP protocols - IPX, AppleTalk etc..

-Difficult to troubleshoot

-Possible to make a L2-loop

-Customers could overflow mac-tables.

L3-VPN:

+ISP control the routing process - or the customer could control the CE-PE, and control it's own routing.

+Loops are avoided with routing-protocols

-Non-IP protocols have to be encapsulated to work

Personally I liked the VPLS best before, but after choosing an ISP supporting PE-CE-protocols, not using static's and has a good support centre, I always recommend L3VPN's.

Also within our own MPLS-network we always use L3. (with no 7600's VPLS is not supported...) EoMPLS is not used permanently used within out MPLS, but could be used for moving a customer from one datacenter to another, or other special timelimited purpose...

L@rs

Thanks Lars

Much appreciated

MM

mmrrittner
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

VPLS built easy cluster?s for data center in different locations. easy migration, outsourcing for datacenter etc.

regards

michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: