Trying to configure VWIC in 2801 Router for Voice & Data

Unanswered Question
Sep 9th, 2007

Hello All,

I have a client who has just opened a new office would like to connect the two offices via their newly installed Point to Point T1 circuit. The Telco person said that he needs 4 channels dedicated for his phone system and that I can use the rest for data. We have gone ahead and purchased two Cisco 2801 routers and two Cisco VWIC-2MFT--T1-D1 interface cards to do this job. I was hoping to find someone who could tell me how to go about setting up these routers with these cards as I am clueless. Is there a software utility that I can use that would make it easy for me? I have the config maker but it does not seem to support the 2801. How about if I contact Cisco and explain what I need done will they send me the config files that I can just download to the routers? From what I understand I can make one or two calls to tech support for free to Cisco with the purchase of the new routers but I am unsure to what extent they will help. I would really like to learn how to do this as I am and will continue to be the IT person to support this client. I did get a couple of quotes to have someone else install these routers for me but it was rather pricey and I thought that I'd try to give it a shot. I think Im pretty smart and Im willing to learn. I just have not had much exposure to this type of configuration before. I have in the past setup some Cisco routers strictly for data but never have I had to fractionalize the circuit.

If anyone can offer me some guidance I would really appreciate it.

Thank You all very much...

[email protected]

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Sun, 09/09/2007 - 17:28

Hi,

shouldn't be too difficult. Forget anything graphical, just use CLI and the documentaion.

network-clock-participate wic X

network-clock-select T1 X/1

controller T1 x/0

tdm-group 1 timeslots 1-4

clock-source internal

controller T1 x/1

tdm-group 0 timeslots 1-4

channel-group 1 timeslots 5-24 type e&M

connect my_pbx T1 x/0 1 T1 x/1 1

This is you reference:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_configuration_example09186a008010f05d.shtml

If the TDM thing gives you problems I suggest you handle this with VoIP, you just need a pvdm2-8 and configure the timeslots as tie-line.

A further step you get IP phones and eliminates the old PBX altogether :)

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Paolo Bevilacqua Mon, 09/10/2007 - 01:23

Hi, I can surely imagine, customer doesn't want voip because it has been burnt in the past, etc..

Once you got the TDM config working, if you can get the pvdm2 modules do a voip config for testing.

Challenge the customer to tell the difference!

Godd luck!

Actions

This Discussion