Views
Helpful
Replies

Is 3524 xl Switch L3 or L2 ?

jagdev.dhaliwal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Frds

Please tell is 3524 xl switch with Version 12.0(5.1)XP is L3 or L2 switch . Does it supports ip routing or not?

with flash c3500XL-c3h2-mz-120.5.1-XP.bin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hii,

The 3524 is an L2 switch and cant be used for any kind of routing.

If u wanna confirm this , check if any interface is willing to move to the routing mode with switchport command.

Hope this helps/clarifies u.

Please do rate the post as it will help us all to give better outputs.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

It is a pure L2 switch. It wont do routing.

Thanks

salman.

3500XL is a pure L2 switch

The only L3 versions available in the 35xx series are the 3550 & the 3560

HTH

Narayan

adding to the above info, this product has reached end of sale.More info at

www.ciso.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps637/ps641/index.html

i had word with someone he told me that it is

L3 but it supports only inter vlan routing not ip routing

Hi

inter-vlan routing is IP routing. He may have been referring to the management vlan ie. you can have on vlan interface on this switch for management purposes but that is purely to get to the switch, it is not used to route user traffic.

As others have said it is a lyer 2 switch only.

Jon

I've C3550 under my table right now but it only does the RIP, and what does it mean when I do show ip protocol and it shows "IP routing is NFS aware".

Can anyone explaine plz

Are you running a SMI image or an EMI image?

Narayan

What is SMI/EMI and where can I find those?

Regards

OK!

I got it WS-C3550-48-EMI

Hi Wasim,

---> What is the difference between the EMI and the SMI?

A. The Cisco Catalyst 3550-24, 3550-48, and 3550-24PWR switches can be ordered with the

SMI or the EMI. The Cisco Catalyst 3550-24-DC and 3550-24-FX can only be ordered with the

SMI pre-installed, but as with all switches running the SMI, they can be upgraded to the

EMI version using an EMI upgrade kit. The Cisco Catalyst 3550-12T and 3550-12G switches

come installed with EMI. The EMI enables a richer set of enterprise-class features including, advanced hardware-based IP unicast and multicast routing, Policy Based Routing

(PBR) and the Web Cache Communication Protocol (WCCP). Additional details about the

differences between the SMI and EMI are provided later in this document.

You can use the show version privileged EXEC command to see the software version that is

running on your switch. The second line displays C3550-ipbase9-mz for the IP services

image (formerly known as the EMI) or C3550-ipbase-mz for the IP base image (formerly known as the SMI).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.2_25_seb/release/notes/OL7186.html

Regards,

~JG

Please rate helpful posts

Hii,

The 3524 is an L2 switch and cant be used for any kind of routing.

If u wanna confirm this , check if any interface is willing to move to the routing mode with switchport command.

Hope this helps/clarifies u.

Please do rate the post as it will help us all to give better outputs.

jagdev.dhaliwal
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys

for your help

thanks once again

jagdev

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: