HSRP or VRRP or GLBP

Unanswered Question
Sep 9th, 2007

Hi;

At customer site; there are two 4507 and 22 2960. I have some questions about these redundancy protocols in my mind. If active router's one linecard or some ports are broken down, how can we do redundancy?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
gryphon55 Mon, 09/10/2007 - 00:12

HSRP will provide redundancy for this in two ways;

1. If the ports which go down are serving the redundant next-hop connections, the hello messages will no longer be exchanged and the back-up router will become active for that HSRP group.

2. HSRP provides interface tracking, which will reduce its priority by a set amount (10 by default) for each tracked interface that goes down. This is useful for tracking uplink connections for example, where a failure will cause the priority to drop and therefore the backup router will become acive for the groups configured to track these failed interfaces.

I hope this helps.

Tom.

Joseph W. Doherty Mon, 09/10/2007 - 04:02

All the protocols you name, "HSRP or VRRP or GLBP", provide for and coordinate a gateway address within the same group. (More than one device needs to be in the group to provide redundancy.) If a group member drops off, other group members will eventually cover for it if necessary, usually within a couple of seconds.

purohit_810 Mon, 09/10/2007 - 04:25

HSRP: Cisco Propritory.. You are using it for single gateway.

VRRP: Supports Multi Vendor.. Same as HSRP. For single gateway.

GLBP: For single gateway over Loadbalncing. It assigns two virtual mac address and depend upon health check it does forward.

Regards,

Dharmesh

Actions

This Discussion