Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP or VRRP or GLBP

yatisspor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi;

At customer site; there are two 4507 and 22 2960. I have some questions about these redundancy protocols in my mind. If active router's one linecard or some ports are broken down, how can we do redundancy?

3 Replies 3

gryphon55
Level 1
Level 1

HSRP will provide redundancy for this in two ways;

1. If the ports which go down are serving the redundant next-hop connections, the hello messages will no longer be exchanged and the back-up router will become active for that HSRP group.

2. HSRP provides interface tracking, which will reduce its priority by a set amount (10 by default) for each tracked interface that goes down. This is useful for tracking uplink connections for example, where a failure will cause the priority to drop and therefore the backup router will become acive for the groups configured to track these failed interfaces.

I hope this helps.

Tom.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All the protocols you name, "HSRP or VRRP or GLBP", provide for and coordinate a gateway address within the same group. (More than one device needs to be in the group to provide redundancy.) If a group member drops off, other group members will eventually cover for it if necessary, usually within a couple of seconds.

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

HSRP: Cisco Propritory.. You are using it for single gateway.

VRRP: Supports Multi Vendor.. Same as HSRP. For single gateway.

GLBP: For single gateway over Loadbalncing. It assigns two virtual mac address and depend upon health check it does forward.

Regards,

Dharmesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card